Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garrett turbo files for bankruptcy

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't see this one coming.

I hope they can hold it together and get back on their feet again. They make great turbos.

Garrett turbocharger files for Chapter 11.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like what Daimler did when they bought Chrysler!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
typical hostile takeover, then use the company finances to bail out the parent company. then dumps the company they bought which is now saddled with debts.. sorta like what Mercedes did to Chrysler.

Honeywell used to sell electronics, not anything fancy. they sold slide projectors and other consumer electronics. they sold major electrical devices. they weren't financially strong. until they started acquiring companies with strong credit.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
So will the liability go back to Honeywell if Garrett goes bust?

Really good question.
I worked as a contractor in the 80's for Dow Chemical and when we stripped asbestos back then they told us that Dow Chemical owned that asbestos for life. It was trucked to a HW dump around Redding Ca. They said if it had to be moved for some reason Dow Chemical was responsible for the bill........for life. :E

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
IMHO...screwed by corporate management (that bought them)

Investors got one new Garrett share for every 10 Honeywell shares they owned. No one bought them. Looks like it was just done to get out from under the asbestos liability.

So will the liability go back to Honeywell if Garrett goes bust?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
lots of companies and small businesses are doing this blaming CV19. regardless, they will continue in business.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...screwed by corporate management (that bought them)
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Honeywell used them to dump a bunch of debt and asbestos liabilities. Vulture capitalism.

Garrett Files Suit

Wonder how Honeywell convinced people to accept shares in this scam.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's only part of it, I think the real; issue is the sentence before:
"According to Benzinga, Garrett took on "significant liabilities" during the spinoff in the form of payments to victims of asbestos exposure that originated from Honeywell's Bendix division."

Bottom line they were saddled with debt their business couldn't support. They are staying in business, the article goes on to say that a PE company is acquiring them for $2.1B to re-structure the debt.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ben: they said they aren't selling enough turbos because of CV19? I haven't kept up on auto sales with turbos so I don't know if that's a BS story or not?

outside the fire"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
X2

Haven't read the article...what happened ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...