cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 Ford E350 V10 Transmission Fluid

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, looking for recommendations here. About to do my first transmission fluid change. Looking for recommendations on fluid. synthetic or old style? thanks for anything. Planning to drop the pan so I can change out the filter. NOt sure about draining the converter. If it has a plug great. If not I think I may leave it and just live with the pan hold up volume change. I am concerned about pumping it out although I have heard others use that method successfully. Thanks ahead for any replies.
24 REPLIES 24

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog.

I am 64 retired electrician. You just might know a little more than I do about certain subjects. By all means I do not claim to know all or see all. Please sent me straight. Please tell me were you think I am off track about the transmission service advice.

I would like to some day have a beer with you also.

Charles
Chuck

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And for the record, I truly do feel sorry for those that don't have a good sense of humor!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Haha, sorry, no I'm too good at my day job!
I just wish I could have some beers with you this fall. Balloon fiesta and green chile season is one of my favorite parts of Albq.
Liked NM so much, we moved there...twice. Got shipped out again for work both times. Loved living in the Sandias.
We still get a box of chile shipped to us every fall and roast it, no matter where we're living.

Do me a favor please. Go have dinner at Sadies and tell me how good it was...

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Chuck .. wrote:
My best advice to you or anyone is to not try to change out or service your own transmission. Only a professional transmission shop can get all of the old oil out of transmission properly. I learned the hard way and it just is not worth it. I am talking about automatic transmissions.

After many months of studying I started using Amsoil in all my trucks and cars many years ago. I use to commute 114 miles a day and a total of over 800,000 miles over 24 year span.

Normal transmission fluid is only good for approximately 240 degrees. Amsoil is good for a around 435 degrees. Look up the specification on Amsoil's web site. I do not sell Amsoil but I have used it for about 30 years. Payed $65,000 for my new 2017 Ford 350 dually and yes I use Amsoil in it. I use and like the Bypass filtration systems Amsoil offers and I do use them. Don's Oil web site offers a outstanding rock guard.

Please hire a professional to do the transmission service and you will glad you did.

PS: Check around, you will post likely be able to purchase Amsoil directly or locally or on line. Check for service shops that offers Amsoil. You can also talk to the service shop, purchase Amsoil and have the shop put it in.

To the statement in your first paragraph, Iโ€™d say wanna bet? And if thatโ€™s the best advice you can give, stop handing out advice.
In general, OMG. You and 12V should get married!! You are perfect for each other! Except you drive a Ford. Although it wouldnโ€™t be good to have a same truck marriage. That liberal kinda thing....

IMO, you have a good sense of humor. (Ever consider stand up comedy?) We could probably spend hours sitting around the campfire telling war stories. We were probably never in the same trench at the same time together, but, . . . we were both there!

Chum lee

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Chuck .. wrote:
My best advice to you or anyone is to not try to change out or service your own transmission. Only a professional transmission shop can get all of the old oil out of transmission properly. I learned the hard way and it just is not worth it. I am talking about automatic transmissions.

After many months of studying I started using Amsoil in all my trucks and cars many years ago. I use to commute 114 miles a day and a total of over 800,000 miles over 24 year span.

Normal transmission fluid is only good for approximately 240 degrees. Amsoil is good for a around 435 degrees. Look up the specification on Amsoil's web site. I do not sell Amsoil but I have used it for about 30 years. Payed $65,000 for my new 2017 Ford 350 dually and yes I use Amsoil in it. I use and like the Bypass filtration systems Amsoil offers and I do use them. Don's Oil web site offers a outstanding rock guard.

Please hire a professional to do the transmission service and you will glad you did.

PS: Check around, you will post likely be able to purchase Amsoil directly or locally or on line. Check for service shops that offers Amsoil. You can also talk to the service shop, purchase Amsoil and have the shop put it in.

To the statement in your first paragraph, Iโ€™d say wanna bet? And if thatโ€™s the best advice you can give, stop handing out advice.
In general, OMG. You and 12V should get married!! You are perfect for each other! Except you drive a Ford. Although it wouldnโ€™t be good to have a same truck marriage. That liberal kinda thing....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Chum lee wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Ford is recommending a transmission flush, is this just a money making scheme for their maintenance shops and is just changing the fluid and filter enough?

Most likely, "Ford" is not recommending a transmission flush. The Ford Dealer is. Two different things. Over the years, Ford has been pretty clear about how to change the ATF. It's clearly written in their service manuals.

Chum lee

Very important distinction there!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellem wrote:
If your old enough you've likely heard that flushing an older transmission can lead to it's demise, had it happen, blew inside of a week.

When experiencing discolored fluid, I simply find a return line and let the transmission pump out the old while I'm adding new....turns pink, your done.

When a transmission hasn't been neglected a simple filter change and refill has always been effective. Ymmv
This is what I do every 30k miles. Drain change fluid in pan and filter use existing OEM gasket(replacement gaskets are rubber and can cause leaks) I dip a white paper towel fresh transmission fluid remove return line pump out old fluid out of TC. Check fluid coming out with paper towel and compare it to new fluid, when it looks the same just top off fluid and you are done.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Ford is recommending a transmission flush, is this just a money making scheme for their maintenance shops and is just changing the fluid and filter enough?

More likely, Ford, or, "Ford Motor Company" is not recommending an automatic transmission fluid flush. The Ford Dealer is. Two different things. Over the years, the engineers and technical writers at Ford Motor Company have been pretty clear about how/when (and what fluid to use) to change the ATF. It's clearly written on placards in the vehicle, in their owners manuals, factory service/repair manuals, technical service bulletins, and service advisory circulars. If you prefer (not to do your homework) to get your education/information from some highly commissioned, agenda driven, knuckle dragging porch monkey internet trolls, well then, you'll get what you deserve.

Chum lee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A flush is OK as long as it used the transmission pump to move it through the trans. If the fluid isnโ€™t burnt and is serviced regularly then a pan drip with filter is all that is necessary! And itโ€™s nice to drop the pan to see how the inside of the trans is (mental chunks or clutch debris).
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Chuck___
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Mercon-V is a synthetic fluid. Iโ€™ve always run Napa Mercon-V, doing a full โ€œbucket flushโ€ every 100,000 or so. Just did it again a couple weeks ago @ 490,000 using MaxLife for the first time only because it ended up being cheaper this time. I no longer drop the pan, and instead use a Magnefine inline filter.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If your old enough you've likely heard that flushing an older transmission can lead to it's demise, had it happen, blew inside of a week.

When experiencing discolored fluid, I simply find a return line and let the transmission pump out the old while I'm adding new....turns pink, your done.

When a transmission hasn't been neglected a simple filter change and refill has always been effective. Ymmv

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

You could look at it a couple ways. 1. Yes. 2. No. For yes, they want top dollar for things and to have a spiffy joint and all. But it doesn't hurt to have it done say every other 30k interval if you tow a lot. As for no, oil is cheap insurance and flushing it will remove all crud and all. I know Ford says to go quite a ways out on tranny service, but I'm stuck in my old fashion ways and will have it done every 30k regardless.

Pretty sure we are talking the 4R100 here. Should be a youtube video out there how to change them, I did several times on my 99 Superduty. not flushing , but still replacing all the fluid .

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

You could look at it a couple ways. 1. Yes. 2. No. For yes, they want top dollar for things and to have a spiffy joint and all. But it doesn't hurt to have it done say every other 30k interval if you tow a lot. As for no, oil is cheap insurance and flushing it will remove all crud and all. I know Ford says to go quite a ways out on tranny service, but I'm stuck in my old fashion ways and will have it done every 30k regardless.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"