Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Settle this for Sequoia and 4Runner owners...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Settle this for Sequoia and 4Runner owners...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

One question I had is how is the tranny when going at first gear on downhill.

The answer is nothing seems wrong: grinding or over-heating. RPM though is elevated at 3,000+ RPM.

Whatever you're on, I'll take 2!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most automatics do NOT lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

* This post was edited 09/25/20 04:18pm by Bedlam *

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Most automatics do lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

I would suspect that too. Was not able to follow up whether the trailer is pushing his TV beyond the upper most speed range of the 1st gear, then I would imagine he would get a worst tranny problem than just overheating -- although the group has full trust and confidence with the Toyota/Japanese engineering excellence, loll.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1, I would say that my only concern would be engine rpm, which would have to be at or above the redline before I’d go into panic mode. If the engine braking with downshifts can’t control the speed... it’s time to apply brakes. Probably would be a good time to pull the parachute release, as you may not be in contact with terra- firma! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

Most automatics do lock the torque convertor in first gear, so I suspect anyone using that gear for sustained periods of time is building up a lot of heat. If second cannot hold you, you are traveling to fast for the amount weight you are towing.

I would suspect that too. Was not able to follow up whether the trailer is pushing his TV beyond the upper most speed range of the 1st gear, then I would imagine he would get a worst tranny problem than just overheating -- although the group has full trust and confidence with the Toyota/Japanese engineering excellence, loll.

I don't think the transmission is even going in 1st. The engine would be way overspeed in most situations unless you were going super slow.

Most modern transmissions will only downshift as far as the computer deems safe. It wouldn't surprise me if people just slam the lever in 1st thinking that is where the trans is shifting, when really they are in 3rd or second.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

Yosemite Sam1, I would say that my only concern would be engine rpm, which would have to be at or above the redline before I’d go into panic mode. If the engine braking with downshifts can’t control the speed... it’s time to apply brakes. Probably would be a good time to pull the parachute release, as you may not be in contact with terra- firma! [emoticon] memtb

Exactly, don't understand why my friend found it funny in his Tioga Pass near miss. He could be flying in that deep ravine and would not be found in another 10 years or so when no one sees him flying down, lol.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam, You should just tell them all to get Tesla’s....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Settle this for Sequoia and 4Runner owners...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.