cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Servicing Wheel Bearings

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
While servicing my trailer bearings I got to wondering why our cars and trucks don't have the same maintenance schedule. There is no difference in design or quality so why the big difference in mileage or time? Components are designed to carry a a specific weight. When is the last time you serviced your car bearings, never? Boat trailers I can understand because of possible water intrusion.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
16 REPLIES 16

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
not knowing what the axle will be used for may be part of the repack recomendation. Boat trailers that get in the water one story. Travel trailer that gets used often, another story where you can probably go a long time between repack. Then there is the person that takes the trailer out once/year for 2 weeks and then it sits out for 50 weeks. probably not good for bearings either.

I repack a new trailer axle at one year then let it go at least 5 years. My neighbor has put close to 200K miles on his cargo trailer and 150K on the previous cargo trailer and never had a failure and never did a repack either. They get 30K ish miles/year.

Our son's work cargo trailer probably has 75K on it, about 10 years old, never been repacked, no issues.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I put USA made Timken bearings in mine, greased with a good synthetic moly grease, and don't worry about them for a good while. Always a full clean, inspect, and repack. None of this pump more grease in and go stuff.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2015 CreekSide with Dexter EZ Lubes. I've read all the pro-cons in greasing the bearings with this. I felt that most persons having trouble with getting grease in their brakes were likely over greasing, or not spinning the wheel while greasing. I was wrong. I spun the wheel while gently greasing just enough to see the grease come out by the washer and nut........aaaand I had grease in 3 of 4 hubs with brakes. I think what happens is the hub(that is full of grease) gets hot going down the road, builds pressure and slings it into the brakes. Either way, I will be manually greasing my bearings every 10 or so thousand miles. Also, Dusty R, don't trust the spring loaded cabs with the grease zerk, they only grease the nut, washer, cotter pin and maybe a little of the front bearing, unless the entire hub is full of grease to force it to the back bearing....and if your flat bed trailer has brakes, they will likely get gooped up with grease. I've seen much of that at my Dad's RV shop when I worked there.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bowti wrote:
That's mighty impressive, given they want e-z lube bearings serviced every year or 3 to 4 thousand miles, which ever occurs first. The upgrade might be the way to go just for the peace of mind factor, even though greasing each year is no big deal. I guess the cost of the upgrade, also has to be considered before going that route.
They don't actually want you to service your bearings that often. That is simply the CYA put out to Cover Their A**es.

I'm firmly in the camp that the bearings should be checked when you first take possession of your trailer. Once you've determined the bearings are good, and are lubed well, you check them every several year or when you feel the urge. Every year or every other year is a waste of my time.

It would appear that trailer builders are notorious for doing a singularly poor job of assembling, and/or greasing the bearings before putting the trailer in service. Mine were pretty bad, but I finally pulled and rechecked bearings after 5 years and all was good.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Bowti wrote:
Durb wrote:
Dexter does make a sealed bearing cartridge for some of their axles. Nev-R-Lube bearings don't need any maintenance during their lifetime. Mine are 12 years old, function like new, and have never been touched. They are not an aftermarket add. The axle has to be specified with the bearings.

I was not aware of this option from Dexter. Do they give you a mileage life, as to when they need to be replaced?.

Five year or 100,000 mile warranty. Inspection involves jacking the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and jiggle test. Tight and smooth then you are good to go.

That's mighty impressive, given they want e-z lube bearings serviced every year or 3 to 4 thousand miles, which ever occurs first. The upgrade might be the way to go just for the peace of mind factor, even though greasing each year is no big deal. I guess the cost of the upgrade, also has to be considered before going that route.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
Durb wrote:
Dexter does make a sealed bearing cartridge for some of their axles. Nev-R-Lube bearings don't need any maintenance during their lifetime. Mine are 12 years old, function like new, and have never been touched. They are not an aftermarket add. The axle has to be specified with the bearings.

I was not aware of this option from Dexter. Do they give you a mileage life, as to when they need to be replaced?.

Five year or 100,000 mile warranty. Inspection involves jacking the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and jiggle test. Tight and smooth then you are good to go.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
Durb wrote:

I called Dexter about my Nev-R-lube bearings and they told my 100,000 miles. Mine are 16 years old and doing fine.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The older cars had serviceable wheel bearings same as a trailer. I used to repack mine at 30K intervals.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe a properly Torqued bearing that has been greased requires that much attention.

Most trailers come with zerk fittings to maintain the bearings.

During the greasing process simply Jack the tire and spin then check for any side to side play by grabbing the tire at opposite ends.

Our last trailer was 10yrs old when we sold it and never required a bearing to be pulled.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the rears on the full floating axle when I was changing the shoes a few years ago. Never looked at the fronts in all the years I've had the truck.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

Explorer II
Explorer II
Most modern vehicles have sealed bearings that can't be packed or serviced. You just replace them when they go bad.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20' flat bed trailer with tandem 3500 axels. I put spring load bearing caps that are used on boat trailers on it.

Dusty