Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Servicing Wheel Bearings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Servicing Wheel Bearings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bowti wrote:

Durb wrote:

Dexter does make a sealed bearing cartridge for some of their axles. Nev-R-Lube bearings don't need any maintenance during their lifetime. Mine are 12 years old, function like new, and have never been touched. They are not an aftermarket add. The axle has to be specified with the bearings.

I was not aware of this option from Dexter. Do they give you a mileage life, as to when they need to be replaced?.

I called Dexter about my Nev-R-lube bearings and they told my 100,000 miles. Mine are 16 years old and doing fine.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bowti wrote:

Durb wrote:

Dexter does make a sealed bearing cartridge for some of their axles. Nev-R-Lube bearings don't need any maintenance during their lifetime. Mine are 12 years old, function like new, and have never been touched. They are not an aftermarket add. The axle has to be specified with the bearings.

I was not aware of this option from Dexter. Do they give you a mileage life, as to when they need to be replaced?.

Five year or 100,000 mile warranty. Inspection involves jacking the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and jiggle test. Tight and smooth then you are good to go.

Bowti

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Bowti wrote:

Durb wrote:

Five year or 100,000 mile warranty. Inspection involves jacking the wheel off the ground and give it a spin and jiggle test. Tight and smooth then you are good to go.

That's mighty impressive, given they want e-z lube bearings serviced every year or 3 to 4 thousand miles, which ever occurs first. The upgrade might be the way to go just for the peace of mind factor, even though greasing each year is no big deal. I guess the cost of the upgrade, also has to be considered before going that route.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bowti wrote:

That's mighty impressive, given they want e-z lube bearings serviced every year or 3 to 4 thousand miles, which ever occurs first. The upgrade might be the way to go just for the peace of mind factor, even though greasing each year is no big deal. I guess the cost of the upgrade, also has to be considered before going that route.
They don't actually want you to service your bearings that often. That is simply the CYA put out to Cover Their A**es.

I'm firmly in the camp that the bearings should be checked when you first take possession of your trailer. Once you've determined the bearings are good, and are lubed well, you check them every several year or when you feel the urge. Every year or every other year is a waste of my time.

It would appear that trailer builders are notorious for doing a singularly poor job of assembling, and/or greasing the bearings before putting the trailer in service. Mine were pretty bad, but I finally pulled and rechecked bearings after 5 years and all was good.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 CreekSide with Dexter EZ Lubes. I've read all the pro-cons in greasing the bearings with this. I felt that most persons having trouble with getting grease in their brakes were likely over greasing, or not spinning the wheel while greasing. I was wrong. I spun the wheel while gently greasing just enough to see the grease come out by the washer and nut........aaaand I had grease in 3 of 4 hubs with brakes. I think what happens is the hub(that is full of grease) gets hot going down the road, builds pressure and slings it into the brakes. Either way, I will be manually greasing my bearings every 10 or so thousand miles. Also, Dusty R, don't trust the spring loaded cabs with the grease zerk, they only grease the nut, washer, cotter pin and maybe a little of the front bearing, unless the entire hub is full of grease to force it to the back bearing....and if your flat bed trailer has brakes, they will likely get gooped up with grease. I've seen much of that at my Dad's RV shop when I worked there.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put USA made Timken bearings in mine, greased with a good synthetic moly grease, and don't worry about them for a good while. Always a full clean, inspect, and repack. None of this pump more grease in and go stuff.

Charles

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not knowing what the axle will be used for may be part of the repack recomendation. Boat trailers that get in the water one story. Travel trailer that gets used often, another story where you can probably go a long time between repack. Then there is the person that takes the trailer out once/year for 2 weeks and then it sits out for 50 weeks. probably not good for bearings either.

I repack a new trailer axle at one year then let it go at least 5 years. My neighbor has put close to 200K miles on his cargo trailer and 150K on the previous cargo trailer and never had a failure and never did a repack either. They get 30K ish miles/year.

Our son's work cargo trailer probably has 75K on it, about 10 years old, never been repacked, no issues.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Servicing Wheel Bearings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.