cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crater of Diamonds State Park, arkansas

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
You want something to do during the Pandemic? Go to the only place in the free world where you can keep all the diamonds you pick up. Crater of Diamonds State Park in southwestern Arkansas is the place to go. Recently a man found a yellow 9.07 carat diamond, the second largest diamond ever found in the parks' almost 50 year history. Park offers campground, equipment rental, and a 37 acre plowed field to explore. Check it out, makes a nice three or four day trip when you have time on your hands...
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"
8 REPLIES 8

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Did it once, in 1965. Mainly we camped on the COE lake a few miles north. Dad like to water ski, and we would be there at time 20 weekends a year.

Took my wife back a couple years ago. But it was in July, and right at 100, with 90% humidity. She found it interesting, but didn't want to did in the dirt.

Is the water park for the youngsters open now?
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Did that a few years back! its quit a place and should be on ones bucket list. I will say its hard work but then nothing comes easy. DW and I were there for better part of a day and found nothing.

You can also dig for sand crystals in Oklahoma, now thats a lot of fun!!
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
How does one spot a diamond amongst all that dirt and other stones?

You wash or walk and pickup anything that shines. They will look them over on the way out and tell you if you have any. They sell small plastic boxes so you don't loose the little ones.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tried my luck there a couple of times. Nice RV spots in the park, but the only diamond I found was a big old diamondback rattler on one of the trails in the park. Didn't want to keep him though.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I did that several years back. It was fun. Didn't find anything, but interesting. The State Park was very nice to stay in. At that time, a beautiful gift shop. I did do good in there.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:

They have wash stations under roof where you can bring buckets of dirt.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better bring old clothes that you don't care about...heh. You can also dig for quartz crystals in AR and will certainly find all you want, near Mt Ida.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper