cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Curious: difference between a WD hitch and Hensley Arrow

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Not owning a TT, but curious to know what the differences are (if any) between a WD hitch and a Hensley Arrow? Are they same thing? Have always read where a HA is super in keeping TT sway down, but I always was under the impression a WD does the same thing. If different, how so? Will a HA make a diff on a long TT ? Forgive me for asking a lot of questions, but as the old saying goes, curious minds want to know? LOL

TIA.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
38 REPLIES 38

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
FL JasonR wrote:
I currently have the Blue Ox WD, how does that compare tho the ones listed above?

Not in the same league as the Hensley at all.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ACZL wrote:
.... w/ a Tahoe towing a 30'+ TT.... Imo tho, he'll still have a problem in that he has a Tahoe towing this trailer. Think it's a '10-'13 era, IDK.

Yep. The Tahoe is the problem.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FL_JasonR
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have the Blue Ox WD, how does that compare tho the ones listed above?

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I ever go from a fiver to a TT I will most likely just bite the bullet and get a Hensley/Propride hitch but I don't doubt that many people can get their WD hitch set up to tow good enough without the added expense of one of these hitches. It's kind of like those who insist you need a dually for a larger 5ver .... it is likely that the dually adds a level of comfort to the towing experience but for many of us the wider/longer truck vs a SRW short box is, overall, more of a disadvantage that an advantage. The extra cost of a Hensley for those who seldom use their trailer can easily be understood as not worth the advantage.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Added the 16k gen Y torsion hitch this year for our annual tour of the Midwest to the pacific coast. Usually a 13k mile adventure.
What a different way to travel! At first used the Andersen with the gen Y. But as we go down the coast just drop the coach on the gen Y ball and go.
Our rig is ATC 28 front bedroom. Overall weight over 8k but toungue heavy at just under 1200lb. The gen Y just soaks up the big ones. I love it. Tow vehicle is 2018 laramie CTD.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Z71K9 wrote:
I just checked my paperwork. I did not pay anywhere near the $2500 price that everyone is saying for my HA. What is average price of a good traditional WD hitch these days?

here's a 12,000lbs one for $479. shipping, to Washington, is 9.50

https://www.camperpartsworld.com/Equal-i-zer-Sway-Control-Hitch-12000-lb_p_22969.html

not sure how legit this site is because most are selling it for $670
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Z71K9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just checked my paperwork. I did not pay anywhere near the $2500 price that everyone is saying for my HA. What is average price of a good traditional WD hitch these days?

Z71K9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have towed since 1994. Bought the Hensley after much research this year for my 2021 Grand Design 2800BH. Hands down, the best out there. Unless of course I get Peterbilt and a new fifth wheel.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Much in the same way a F350 dually would improve your towing performance.
A Hensley would also improve your towing performance.
On a clear sunny day that improvement maybe negligible, on a bad Murphy's law kind of day that improvement maybe invaluable.
Those who own a Hensley are after the ultimate towing performance vs. adequate or very good. Buying a dually is not a pratical solution for most, however many find a Hensley a worthwhile way to obtain ultimate towing performance.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Have you ever experienced towing with that $2,500.00 hitch?

Many of us don't need to because we have well-paired combos that do great with our regular WDHs. I've used mine for 15 years, in snow, ice, high winds, busy California freeways and multiple Western mountain ranges. NEVER had any kind of sway issues with my $400 4 point Equal-i-zer. Rock solid.

So why would I need to spend $2500 fir a PP or Hensley? I agree that they are the best and I think those with short wheelbase tow vehicles should definitely consider getting one.
I also think that a 1 ton dually would be the best tow vehicle but at this time, i don't need one. I do just fine with my F150 3.5 Ecoboost.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
bikendan wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
drsteve wrote:
For 95% of all TT setups the Hensley is a solution in search of a problem.

If they were cheaper everyone would have one. Why not have the best if you can?

because if you have a well matched combo, they aren't necessary, especially for the price. a good modern WDH with integrated sway control works great with no need to spend 8x the money.

Exactly. I use a Husky Centerline (equalizer clone) and my setup is rock solid under all conditions. No need to spend $2500 on a hitch.

Have you ever experienced towing with that $2,500.00 hitch?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
DW & I both agree a bigger truck should be had, but guess that isn't in the cards anytime soon. So I guess to make up for it, they are looking into the HA, hence this topic.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
drsteve wrote:

because if you have a well matched combo, they aren't necessary, especially for the price. a good modern WDH with integrated sway control works great with no need to spend 8x the money.

Exactly. I use a Husky Centerline (equalizer clone) and my setup is rock solid under all conditions. No need to spend $2500 on a hitch.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
drsteve wrote: