Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
plasticmaster

Home

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is just a general question, but what if you were to get in a traffic accident with your tow vehicle a day or two before a big camping trip? I'm talking about a well planned trip of a lifetime type of trip with hard to get campsite reservations and all. Would the auto insurance provide a loaner vehicle capable of pulling your travel trailer so you could still go on your trip? Has anyone here ever experienced this?

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where would the auto insurer go to find available loaner vehicles capable of pulling a moderate to large TT?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never experience this, but I have rented lots of vehicles. Often your typical rental agency, Hertz, Avis, etc, don't want you to tow with their rental vehicle, or take it off road. I've even had to sign a wavier about not taking a rental off road. On top of that, unless your trailer is minimal, then a typical rental truck might not be properly equipped. On top of that, when you get in an accident, unless you have some kind of special insurance, the company will only rent you a car that is like $20 per day, so compact if your lucky.

I think you would have to wait, or find a specialty rental agency at your cost.

I could be wrong as it has not happened to me, but I would be surprised if a rental agency even had a vehicle that could tow anything but the smallest trailer.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What if" doesn't happen very often so I don't count on them. About 20 years ago we were on our way to FL with my wifes F150 and the engine just locked up (170??? miles. I called work and told them to come get the truck and asked a friend to come get the TT, maybe only about 75 miles from home. We put the dog and our clothes in the car and went to FL. The truck spun a hearing and I told work to put a short block in it while we were gone. We had a good time even without the TT. Don't worry about stuff you can't change.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good question. Something I've thought about but not put much effort into. I suspect the eventual plan will depend a great deal on your insurance company, your financial situation, and where you are located relative to rental agencies that might something suitable and rentable for towing.

Now I suppose you could change plans and rent a motorhome for the trip.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That close to a significant trip: Rent a 1-ton van out of pocket and try to claim it with insurance later. Enjoy the moment.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like posted above, your insurance policy will have limits on the maximum amount they will pay for a replacement rental vehicle. Over that amount is your responsibility.

Regarding a rental vehicle suitable for towing, Enterprise through their truck rental division has 3/4 and 1 ton pickups equipped to tow, but they charge an additional fee on top of the base rental.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A car pulled out in front of my brother a month ago. Totaled his truck, which he uses to tow his trailer containing lawn equipment. (Fortunately, no one was seriously injured) Insurance paid for a car rental while processing his claim. Rental company does not rent vehicles to tow. I assume because of liability issues?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming, it's totaled and you are in good financial shape, I would pop out and buy another truck. You are going to need one anyway.

If you aren't in good financial shape, I might hold off on the trip.

Now if it's minor damage, the question becomes is the truck safely drivable with little or no work. If it's just some sheet metal pushed up against the tire and you can pull it back and secure it, I would call the insurance and run it by them that you plan to head out and will work with them to get it fixed when you return.

"Trips of a lifetime" are a lot easier to come by with a little planning than you might think.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be best to use a U-Haul thruck or van. I've seen U-Haul box trucks towing cars and small trailers when people move. U-Haul does rent pickup trucks and regular vans. Tell the insurance you want a U-Haul rental or reimburse the cost of your trip and reservations.

Several years ago someone spun out and hit the right rear tire of my SUV after we had 14 inches of snow, sending me into a guardrail doing $1600 worth of damage to the left front. I was going to pick up my old TT to bring it home since deer season was ending. I told their insurance I needed a truck or an SUV because I had to bring the trailer home. They provided me a rental pickup from Enterprise. When I went to pick it up and sign the papers they told me I couldn't tow with it. So I had a brand new Silverado extended cab to drive around and had to wait over 2 weeks untill i got my SUV back to pick up the trailer.

A couple years ago my truck broke down and I needed a vehicle for a couple days to get back and forth to work. I also needed to take a few loads to the dump in my utility trailer while i had someone available to help me. I rented a practically brand new pickup truck from U-Haul for a couple days. I was told there was no problem using it for towing.

* This post was edited 09/25/20 03:37pm by mobeewan *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.