Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enterprise truck rental (NOT regular Enterprise locations!) will let you tow with a 2500 or 3500 rental. They're the only national chain other than U-haul that explicitly allows it in their contact, and unlike U-haul they rent crew cabs so you can take the family. If you have the ability to setup a business account Herc and United rentals are also options.

As far as insurance coverage, no mine does not have nearly a high enough daily limit on rental coverage to get a truck, though I could probably just do it and cover the difference.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my insurance company in case of accident provides a "like kind" vehicle if that's what I want. So, if it was my 3/4 diesel crew cab, that's what they would provide.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

my insurance company in case of accident provides a "like kind" vehicle if that's what I want. So, if it was my 3/4 diesel crew cab, that's what they would provide.

Are you sure? I explicitly asked my agent to look for a carrier and plan that would cover a vehicle capable of towing and he was not able to find one, his recommendation was to self-insure for the eventuality that I might have a breakdown or accident while on the road far from home.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like a few others have said Enterprise has HD trucks. I got a price if $59 a day for a Ram 2500 BigHorn gasser. I thought about renting one for a camping trip as an extended test drive.
The just sold of a bunch of the a couple of months ago.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

This is just a general question, but what if you were to get in a traffic accident with your tow vehicle a day or two before a big camping trip? I'm talking about a well planned trip of a lifetime type of trip with hard to get campsite reservations and all. Would the auto insurance provide a loaner vehicle capable of pulling your travel trailer so you could still go on your trip? Has anyone here ever experienced this?

[emoticon] Hi, my neighbor has a Toyota Tacoma and it was hit in the rear and bent the frame down making his reciever un-usable. He tows a pop up tent trailer. He was only a few days from a trip planned a year in advance. I towed my 25' Airstream for over ten years with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator before I bought a new 2014 F-150. We were also going on a trip at the same time. I gave my neighbor the keys to my Navigator so he could still take his family camping.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go to Enterprise straight away and rent a Cummins on my dime. Let the insurance company deal with everything else and possibly coving the rental after the fact.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Where would the auto insurer go to find available loaner vehicles capable of pulling a moderate to large TT?

Why are you answering a question with a question?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

plasticmaster wrote:

This is just a general question, but what if you were to get in a traffic accident with your tow vehicle a day or two before a big camping trip? I'm talking about a well planned trip of a lifetime type of trip with hard to get campsite reservations and all. Would the auto insurance provide a loaner vehicle capable of pulling your travel trailer so you could still go on your trip? Has anyone here ever experienced this?

Since we don’t know or have your policy, we cannot possibly say what your insurance company will rent you if anything at all.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

plasticmaster wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, my neighbor has a Toyota Tacoma and it was hit in the rear and bent the frame down making his reciever un-usable. He tows a pop up tent trailer. He was only a few days from a trip planned a year in advance. I towed my 25' Airstream for over ten years with my 2000 Lincoln Navigator before I bought a new 2014 F-150. We were also going on a trip at the same time. I gave my neighbor the keys to my Navigator so he could still take his family camping.

That’s a nice story. Doesn’t even begin to address the OPs question.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

Are you sure? I explicitly asked my agent to look for a carrier and plan that would cover a vehicle capable of towing and he was not able to find one, his recommendation was to self-insure for the eventuality that I might have a breakdown or accident while on the road far from home.

You can tell who his carrier is and what the policy says by telepathy?

This is the stupid thread of the week thread. Right from the get go.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Accident with tow vehicle right before big camping trip?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.