Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Solution to Trash Left Behind!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have all seen it before. People leave their trash behind at a nice campsite or on the side of the road. To the extent we can, we pick up what is there to dispose of later but the process just leaves a bad impression of hummanity in general. Litter fines do nothing to solve the problem. Searching for solutions, it appears that Thailand has found one option that I'm for...

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/thailand-national-park-mails-back-garbage-campers-litter

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have friends who work for the USPS. Do you want your friends handling that trash, poop, chemicals, diapers, oil, gasoline soaked rags etc. as you are advocating for my friends? Now you aren’t thinking of others.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ranholago

MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of sending their trash back to them.
My wife was just saying the other day, we don't see the road side signs that say "no littering and x amount of $ fine", any more. They may be there but we just haven't noticed them. I can say in general that littering has gotten out of control in our area, (just north of Sacramento) It is ridiculous the amount of road side trash and actual junk, from chip bags to mattresses and sofas. I remember years ago there was many programs about littering, from whole litter bug thing to the American Indian sitting on his horse shedding a tear.
Adam, thanks for bringing up the topic of littering.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/20 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part of the problem is a cop has to see someone throw out the trash. Chances of that happening is really slim. I live on a main road and nary a day goes by that I don’t have to pick up someone’s discards.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering why OP didn’t mention the suggestion of the article. Any way, if it was at a reserved camp space, I guess mailing would work but cost money. So, seems pretty dumb of Thailand but maybe they have high enough taxes to pay for it.

Better would be to bring back the PSAs that used to be on that encouraged people to stop throwing out trash. Or, simply put trash cans out that can be used in public spaces, again.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the most beautiful campsite that I go to every year twice a year. recently I've noted toilet paper scattered about. What a tacky thing to see in such a pretty spot along a stream with spawning trout and Kokanee Salmon. I think they should stop all people that do not have an RV with a bathroom and a way to haul it out. Makes me heart broken.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year at Lexington Horse Park Campground the folks next to us left garbage all over their campsite packed up their RV and left. I took photos of it and their site reservation tag then bagged up all the trash and went down to the camp office. Showed them the photos, the garbage and the site slip. Rangers mailed out a $100 ticket and blocked the folks from reserving a site anywhere in the Kentucky state parks campground system. Harsh but excellent lesson.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Buzzcut1.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is surprising. We have camped for almost 40 years and have never seen a site filled with trash. We have had minor trash left in fire rings but that is all. I can't imagine how thoughtless and self-centered people can be. When we pull out of a site, DH pulls out and I check the site. Actually because we never leave any mess, I am looking for forgotten items and checking lights and the RV. I am glad I do this because twice I discovered my purse on the picnic table! Yikes! The funny part is neighbors who are outside often tell me, "He is leaving without you."

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is sign of the times, or changing culture.
I live last street before desert, so lot of young drivers come here for marijuana smoke, lunch or other night activities.
The culture require all lunch trash to be left on the middle of the street (from opening driver door) while all glass bottles have to be smack against the curb.
Only the latex become thing of a past and now face masks are flying around.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.