Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Solution to Trash Left Behind!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoever said public garbage cans are lacking in number is correct imo.
Case in point. Sons hockey showcase in MN last weekend at the Super rink. 8 sheets of ice. Probably 600-800 players plus families and staff. Players had to dress outdoors due to Rona and all families hanging out outdoors.
Not a single (&)@@)ing garbage can outside. Every night there was piles of trash.
Who hosts an event for 1000 people and garbage cans are only indoors where you can only be during your game?

I tossed trash all over there. Because they were being stupid. So did everyone else.
What didn’t blow away or get picked by birds got cleaned up by the rink Staff at night... but still.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

Love the idea of mailing trash back to the folks that generated it! I'd get a kick out of dropping the trash on their doorstep myself!

Those that litter really irritate me, even from a young age. As a teenager (many decades ago), me and my friends would go party in the desert. If a friend decided to chuck trash out the window while I was driving, I'd slam on the brakes and make him or her go pick it up. If they put up any resistance, they would find themselves having a long walk home. Not one bottle or can was ever left behind!

A group I belong to adopted a stretch of freeway and performs clean-up events a couple times a year. The amount of trash picked-up is always shocking.

Problem is, nobody feels like they should be held accountable for their actions these days. Quite sad!

“Someone I know” may have found a bunch of trashed dumped by the road near a friend’s house that happened to include a couple of different things with an address on it. That someone may have returned it, while creating a nice front yard display at that address.

My family also participates in a 3 mile section of rural adopt-a-road and pick up several full trash bags 2x a year. It’s about fast food consumption completion distance away from town as evidenced by the gifts left in the ditches. It’s so obviously not an accident when the quantity increases along the sections of the road away from any houses.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my early 20s (70s) we were driving out to Anza Borrego in my Land Cruiser when a guy in a caddy tossed a full bag of garbage out his window into the desert. We stopped picked it up and tore after him. When we caught up he was driving along windows open in the slow lane. I pulled even, drifted close to his door. My buddy yelled out you dropped something and tossed it into his lap. And yes at that point the bag ripped open. it was awesome.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Part of the problem with litter is there is no convenient place to dispose it. People dump tires, old mattresses, etc. along seldom traveled roads and other places because municipal dumping places are few and far as well as their charges for dumping are out of reach for many people. In some campgrounds, the "pack it in-pack it out" plan where you are supposed to take all your trash home with you, leaves people without any resource to discard leaky smelly trash they don't want in the passenger seat of their vehicle. Other campgrounds have one central spot for trash disposal, often quite a distance from the campsite.

The key word in your comment in "convenient"

I don't intend to be mean, but your comment leaves me wondering about you.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Part of the problem with litter is there is no convenient place to dispose it. People dump tires, old mattresses, etc. along seldom traveled roads and other places because municipal dumping places are few and far as well as their charges for dumping are out of reach for many people. In some campgrounds, the "pack it in-pack it out" plan where you are supposed to take all your trash home with you, leaves people without any resource to discard leaky smelly trash they don't want in the passenger seat of their vehicle. Other campgrounds have one central spot for trash disposal, often quite a distance from the campsite.

You gotta be kidding me, it sounds like you're advocating dumping your trash instead of dealing with it. That right?

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geewizard wrote:

You gotta be kidding me, it sounds like you're advocating dumping your trash instead of dealing with it. That right?

I thought the same thing. At least justifying dumping trash. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny, you look at old photographs and home movies from 100 years ago and litter really didn't exist. Most things were reusable, returned for deposit, and there weren't plastic bottles, bags, potato chip bags, junk food packages, and the rest of it.

We've done it ourselves. Why aren't we refusing the use of plastics? Why do we allow our kids to consume junk food and then throw the empties away?

I read on Rv.Travel this morning about a boondocking site in New Mexico and the boondocker was shocked to see so many people destroying the place.

One person commented, "why should we pick up the trash?", "we clean up after ourselves".

That's exactly why the "no litter" program doesn't work. It takes everyone doing their part and if some don't comply, we need to do it for them. If not, this thread will be worthless.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's really not a new problem it's just that the population has grown so much that the effects of the same percentage of thoughtless people is greatly magnified by the sheer increase in their numbers.

My biggest peeve is by the smallest litter. The smokers that think the world is their ashtray and toss the butts out the window everywhere including the hills during high fire danger.

every Mt bike ride, every hike no matter where I go I find myself stopping to pick up someone's trash. jut pisses me off. Even my employees leave fast food bags and cups in the work vehicles at the end of the shift...We live in a worl d that forgot take only pictures leave only footprints

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

I thought the same thing. At least justifying dumping trash. [emoticon]

I read his comments as explaining why people do it, not justifying. In other words if want to solve the problem, unfortunately you have to make it easier for the slobs.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that removing garbage cans doesn’t help. I’m sure it’s to “save” money, but it’s way easier to put trash in it’s place if it is obvious and you are used to taking care of it that way.

We had a neighbor that was leaving trash out next to the cans at our garbage area on our road. Sometimes, they put it in our can. I guess we encouraged bad behavior by picking it up. They had addresses on some of it. We notified the trash service, they contacted them, and they stopped and appear to have a can now. A new one showed up..

They had just bought a house (according to Zillow). Apparently didn’t know how to get trash service, were too lazy, hadn’t done it yet, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solution to Trash Left Behind!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.