cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Cades Cove. ?Route 28 Franklin to Lauada?

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading north on Rt. 441/23 mid October. How is Rt. 28 from Franklin to Lauada N.Carolina in a 30 foot Class 'C'. Yes, I know of 'Tail of the Dragon'. Altimately going to Cades Cove....No, I don't want to drive all the way thru the park, thru Pigeon Forge and around...been there, done that. Thanks:h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
11 REPLIES 11

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
You would be 10 times happier and faster to head on up to Dillsboro and take 74.west.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
I'm asking of Rt 28 because I want to stay off of as much of Rt. 129, Tail Of Dragon, as I can. Hoping to only have to get on 129 near the Cheoah Dam and do the 10 miles or so up to the Foothills Pkwy. Is this doable in a 30 foot Class'C'?

Doable? Yes most likely. But the road it's self is only part of the problem, it's the other drivers. Also you are not missing the bad part of US-129. US-129 back to US-74 at Topton NC isn't that bad. Remember the 319 corners in 11 miles, your only going to miss the 1st mile. And I don't think NC-28 from US-74 to US-129 is any better. There was a sign right as NC-28 left US-74 that warned about 44 miles of slow corners and grades up to 12%. That would be about all the way to Foothills Pkwy. Although I think that only the part NC-28 from Stecoah to Fontana is really that bad. From US-129 to Fontana isn't real bad as the road runs along the river.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is don't burn up your brakes. You will have a workout with all the hills and turns. Go slow and be careful.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
I think the worse of the road was south of the dam but once again it's been years and we went down it once. The main reason it sticks in my memory, as much as it does, is the incident with the semi.

You know you can look at the road in google maps satellite view. Just search for the dam and zoom in and follow the road.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the worse of the road was south of the dam but once again it's been years and we went down it once. The main reason it sticks in my memory, as much as it does, is the incident with the semi.
Superbumper

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
I'm asking of Rt 28 because I want to stay off of as much of Rt. 129, Tail Of Dragon, as I can. Hoping to only have to get on 129 near the Cheoah Dam and do the 10 miles or so up to the Foothills Pkwy. Is this doable in a 30 foot Class'C'?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah we've been down that, years ago tho. Very twisty as I recall, heavily wooded, and we almost had a head on with a semi on one of the turns. The driver was very nervous, I don't think he was allowed on that road. Because of the trees the curves are mostly blind. But as I said it's been at least ten years since we were up there.
Superbumper

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Please...as stated in original post "I know of Tail of the Dragon". I'm asking for info of Rt. 28 from Frankin to Lauana.
BTW: Also, how is Rt. 28 from Lauana to Cheoah Dam?
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Is the 'tail of the dragon' how you describe what is likely the worst traffic jam found in any NP?

It's a famous twisty road in North Carolina.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

317 turns in 11 miles. We have ridden it many times, yep it's twisty. Really busy with motorcycles on weekends.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

dedmiston
agesilaus wrote:
Is the 'tail of the dragon' how you describe what is likely the worst traffic jam found in any NP?

It's a famous twisty road in North Carolina.

https://tailofthedragon.com/

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Superbumper