Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Braking system & brake buddy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Braking system & brake buddy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
shannon62

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, hope all are well. I have been told by a few people that we really do not need a brake buddy, then we hear that you do. so #1 Do you need to have a brake buddy in your toad by law? #2 Will your break away feature only work if your toad has a brake buddy? we plan to have a class a diesel motorhome. As always we thank you for any info.

ranholago

MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty sure the requirement for supplemental braking system is established by the state. Ive checked the code books for California and come up with a couple of different answers generally if the vehicle is 3000lbs or more,I have also understood it to be 1500lbs, but, is a toad a trailer? Ive been told no, the toad does not need a braking system, just a break away system. Generally in those gray areas,( and there will be plenty who say there is no grey area), however for me, I installed a supplemental braking system, I rest easier knowing im doing the safe thing.

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes to both questions.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the toad breaks away, it more than likely won’t harm or kill you or your family, won’t damage your property. Still need a legal requirement to have brakes on the toad?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been probably one of the most debated questions on this forum. My only comment is that there are many supplemental braking options out there besides the Brake Buddy, so no, you do not need a Brake Buddy.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes , you should have a brake system, brake buddy or otherwise.
yes, you should have a break away system.
bumpy

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Research the laws in your state, and make your own decision as to what they mean.
I did for my state, and several surrounding states. I came to the conclusion that in many states a towed passenger vehicle does not comply with the legal definition of "trailer", so trailer brake laws do not apply.
However, many (if not most) states have a Braking Performance Law in the State Code that closely mirrors the FMVSS regulations: You must be able to stop any combination of vehicles within xx number of feet from xx MPH on a level, dry, clean hard surface. (MCA 61-9-312 specifies within 40 feet from 20 MPH for any "combination of vehicles".) If you can do that, you are legal.
Pennsylvania, apparently, has no such regulation (I have been unable to find it, anyway), however a breakaway system is required (PA Title 75, Paragraph 4502).
There are non electric or electronic systems available (Ready Brute is one) that are purely mechanical and meet the requirements of all states.
By the way, California does have a Braking Performance Law that closely mirrors the FMVSS, and is very nearly the same as the Montana (MCA) code!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

This has been probably one of the most debated questions on this forum. My only comment is that there are many supplemental braking options out there besides the Brake Buddy, so no, you do not need a Brake Buddy.

My thoughts exactly. The debate over whether or not you should or are legally required to have a supplemental braking system will rage on forever. However, NOWHERE does ANY law anywhere say you have to specifically have a brake buddy system. There are several other systems that work just as good and better in some cases, and cost a lot less.

Personally, I don't want to have to install and remove a box/device in front of the driver seat whenever I hitch up and unhitch. Way too much PITA there, and you are likely every now and then to just not hook it up (and Murphy's law guarantees that'll be the time you get in a panic stop situation on the road and will wish you had it). Much prefer a system that stays installed and ready to go, and is just a matter of hooking up a connection or two.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why wouldn't you? No it does not have to be a brake buddy. There are lots of systems including some mechanical ones integrated into the tow bars like the ready brute elite.

But to spend all the money on an RV and toad and a towing system only to stop at a supplemental brake system and breakway to me, doesn't make sense. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Legally, do you have to have it? You'll get a hundred different answers.

Should you? Yes.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

shannon62

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info on brake buddy, sounds like the brake buddy is not the only one out there, we will need to research it more as for that is the only one we know about. Thanks again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Braking system & brake buddy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.