cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle specs

smithrhjr
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 5th wheel and are thinking about a Class A and hitting the road. Thinking about a tow vehicle. I am thinking Jeep Wrangler, but have no idea what the specs need to be. Mainly, if flat towing do I need a manual trans? What connections do I need for the brake lights to work. Or is having the front wheels off hte road better? Totally uninformed here. Thoughts please!!!!
2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 34' 8"
2020 Chevy 2500 HD 6' 8" bed new this year 6.6L V8 gas engine (That's right, not diesel)
16 REPLIES 16

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice here. Case in point. My previous Ford Fusion, 2010 model w/ front wheel drive, was flat towable up to 65 mph. My current 2018 Ford Fusion w/ front wheel drive only, is NOT flat towable under any condition.

My current F150 with 4 wheel drive is flat towable as long as a simple procedure is done to make sure the the tranny and transfer case are in neutral. However, no 2 wheel drive F150's are flat towable. At least for 2014 model year. Obviously, other years may be different. That's why it's so important to check the particular owner's manual.

Lwiddis wrote:
Donโ€™t buy any vehicle to use as a four down toad unless the manufacturer says you can and you comply with any requirements. For instance, 2020 Chevy Equinox...two wheel drive...four down ok...all wheel drive...no. You may need a dolly depending on the toad you buy but they are a pain...three vehicles instead of two.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the same set of diodes since 2008, currently installed in the second toad. Not a single failure so far...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
...All Wranglers are 4 down towable, manual or auto...

all current year Wranglers might very well be flat towable but in case the OP is considering buying a used Wrangler the advice is the same...check the owner's manual under Recreational Towing before purchase.

Unless the OP finds the 1 of 1 Wrangler that is automatic with 2WD, they have always been 4 down towable.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

yeah, the A/B switch is not a precise analogy. :@

For a true "A/B Switch" option, check out this system from Cooltech - uses the lights from the Jeep, but adds in a switch so you select either the Jeep or the towing vehicle as the source of power for the lights. It's a bit on the expensive side, but looks like it would work quite well.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Spratt wrote:
rk911 wrote:
clicky

and from personal experience i'd recommend installing a separate wiring harness ans bulbs in your jeep. it sounds harder than it really is. when we started towing back in '03 the diodes (which function like an A/B switch) in the original wiring harness kept blowing leaving us with no tail lights or blinkers. we put in a second set of bulbs in our jeeps connected directly to the umbillical connector in the front of the jeep.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your previous wiring.
I donโ€™t know about the A/B analogy
the current diodes pass current from either source and do not backfeed
to the other leg.
Anyway FWIW ours have been trouble free in two different vehicles for many miles

good. ours failed in Custer State Park, SD as we were leaving a restaurant after dark. :E thank God we still had headlights and drove the few miles back to the campsite with the still functioning 4-way flashers. Had the diodes replaced the next day in Rapid City but they failed again a week or two later while heading back home. we drove the last 100+ miles in daylight only with no tail or brake lights on the toad. when we got home we installed the second set of bulbs and separate wiring harness.

yeah, the A/B switch is not a precise analogy. :@
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
clicky

and from personal experience i'd recommend installing a separate wiring harness ans bulbs in your jeep. it sounds harder than it really is. when we started towing back in '03 the diodes (which function like an A/B switch) in the original wiring harness kept blowing leaving us with no tail lights or blinkers. we put in a second set of bulbs in our jeeps connected directly to the umbillical connector in the front of the jeep.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your previous wiring.
I donโ€™t know about the A/B analogy
the current diodes pass current from either source and do not backfeed
to the other leg.
Anyway FWIW ours have been trouble free in two different vehicles for many miles
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
...All Wranglers are 4 down towable, manual or auto...

all current year Wranglers might very well be flat towable but in case the OP is considering buying a used Wrangler the advice is the same...check the owner's manual under Recreational Towing before purchase.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Ford Explorer. Ours is 4WD but 2WD is also 4 down towable. Very easy to tow and weighs around 4300lbs. Not sure on the 2020's, but I belive all of them up to 2019 with the V-6 are 4 down towable.

As for the Jeeps. All Wranglers are 4 down towable, manual or auto. Certain Grand Cherokees are towable, but it needs the proper T-case with the N position. Same for the little Cherokee, it needs to have the active drive II which has the N position.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
clicky

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

G-Dad
Explorer
Explorer
The Dinghy Towing Guides are a great source of info about towed vehicles and the needed towing equipment. https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
We used to tow a Jeep Liberty with an automatic.
Just finished setting up our 2020 Jeep Wrangler for towing.
Went with Blue Ox equipment.
Roadmaster diode light kit splices into your tail lights easily.
Jeeps are popular because they are so easy to tow.
Put transfer case in neutral and transmission in park and you are ready.
As others said, check the manual to verify the one you are looking at will work.
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Your best source of towing information is Remco Towing.

Richard

looks like Remco is getting out of the toad biz... the best info on the flat towability of a specific yr/make/model is the mfr.

Dear Remco Industries Towing Customer:

After careful consideration, Remco Industries has decided to discontinue the manufacture and sales of its vehicle towing kits (remcotowing.com), as of October 1, 2020.

The standard warranty terms will be honored for all units shipped prior to October 1, 2020. Orders in place and active prior to the announcement date will be honored according to the terms of that order, regarding product availability, warranty or support terms.

The discontinuance of this product line is in keeping with our practice of rationalizing low demand products and replacing them with new products with improved design and functionality.

We appreciate and value your partnership. While we regret any inconvenience this announcement may cause, we are pleased to announce that we continue to research and develop new and alternate products that provide complimentary additions to our current product offering.

We sincerely appreciate the confidence and loyalty you have shown us over the years, and we look forward to working together in the future.

Please feel free to contact your Remco Industries sales representative if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

Remco Industries
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Your best source of towing information is Remco Towing.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie to this, but just had my Grand Cherokee hooked up to my Tiffin 33 with Blue Ox and Air Force set up. After doing some research, (not exhaustive), it seems Jeeps in general because of their transaxle, are easiest to tow. I bought the GC for this reason (2018) and seems to be pretty straightforward. My coach is rated at 10000 towing capacity and GC only weighs around 4500 lbs or so. I really didn't want to use dolly for towing. One more thing to deal with at campgrounds....but a lot CHEAPER! I bought set up and had everything installed and spent over $5,000+. Hope this helps.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee