Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: The Highlands
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/28/20 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Anybody stayed there in July? I'm looking to escape Houston heat. I need an alternative to Colorado.

Was up near Boone this year in mid August. If we ran the AC it was very little. Several years ago it was early July and again very little AC. 3300' elevation and shade helps alot.


2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD


Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 09/30/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

narrow, crooked roads in that area. We stay just across the Ga line in a RV park on the road to Highlands on occasion

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2009

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the Allstays campground map and zoom in on Western NC area. That entire area is full of beautiful scenery. Keep in mind that the campgrounds may already be booked if you're wanting to take a trip there this fall. Leaf season is popular.
https://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/North-Carolina-campground-map.htm


First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus




TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

Anybody stayed there in July? I'm looking to escape Houston heat. I need an alternative to Colorado.


Highlands is the highest altitude incorporated town east of the Rockies. I believe it's over 4000 feet. I don't know about RV parking. It's a pretty high-end kind of snooty place IMHO.

There is also Mile-High Campground near Cherokee, NC and Balsam Mountain campground in GRSM national park.


High end and snooty? My hillbilly ancestors were from around there. Well, a little bit east of there. I'll get on campgroundreviews.com and see what's up there. It would be great if I could find something.


2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

martinto

South Carolina

Full Member

Joined: 06/23/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

Anybody stayed there in July? I'm looking to escape Houston heat. I need an alternative to Colorado.


Highlands is the highest altitude incorporated town east of the Rockies. I believe it's over 4000 feet. I don't know about RV parking. It's a pretty high-end kind of snooty place IMHO.

There is also Mile-High Campground near Cherokee, NC and Balsam Mountain campground in GRSM national park.


High end and snooty? My hillbilly ancestors were from around there. Well, a little bit east of there. I'll get on campgroundreviews.com and see what's up there. It would be great if I could find something.


We camp up in western NC frequently. A lot of those small mountain towns have evolved to arts and eateries to draw tourists. We enjoy em. There are great campgrounds throughout the area...Campfire Lodging near Asheville, Mama Gerties near Black Mountain, Mountain Stream near Marion., to name a few. These are east of Highlands, If you boondock, there is some CG’s up on the Blue Ridge Hwy.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2009

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/20 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:



High end and snooty? My hillbilly ancestors were from around there. Well, a little bit east of there. I'll get on campgroundreviews.com and see what's up there. It would be great if I could find something.

The Highlands has had a lot of money move into the area and many of the shops in the downtown area are boutiques, cafes and other businesses associated with higher income areas. Much has changed there since your ancestors.

TxGearhead

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/20 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully its changed in 200+ years. I'm not too familiar with Highlands but I'm
somewhat familiar with with the area a little east of there. Good to hear the area is improving.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2009

View Profile



Posted: 09/30/20 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Hopefully its changed in 200+ years. I'm not too familiar with Highlands but I'm
somewhat familiar with with the area a little east of there. Good to hear the area is improving.

Some of the locals don't see it as an improvement. The eye of the beholder and all that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.