cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freightliner chassis

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been RVing since the eighties and have alway had trailers and fifth wheels. We are now in the market for a diesel pusher. We have landed on one brand that had everything we were looking for and like the floor plan and the companies very good reputation. After searching for weeks, I have noticed some owners who seem to detest Freightliner chassis that is used in our choice of motorhome. One said he would rather walk and others with some horror stories how Freightliner wouldn't help them now that their motorhome was off warranty. I will tell you that I am not a mechanic or mechanical engineer and now feel as though we might have to start all over again in our search. If what they say is true then what chassis do we look for?.We have owned a few lemons in our day and I am worried if I get another, that my wife will put an end to our travels. I would love to have someone with some knowledge in chassis weigh in and tell me how to determine what chassis is sturdy and trouble free if there is such a thing. Thanks in advance....
17 REPLIES 17

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ On the steering column, are you referring to Comfort Drive or something else? I don't believe Daimler had anything to do with Comfort Drive. I could be wrong.

No not referring to Comfort Drive. The CD settings (along with a lot of other features) are changed via the steering wheel buttons on left side and setting shown on Dash. The gear selection is located on right side of column along with 3 stage Jake Brake selection. There are videos on line showing the system.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
I had a choice between Spartan and FL when ordering my new Dutch Star. I chose FL.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just like the above responses, have a 2003 Fleetwood DP. Freightliner been no problems for all these years. Only wish you old girl had thur bay areas.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ On the steering column, are you referring to Comfort Drive or something else? I don't believe Daimler had anything to do with Comfort Drive. I could be wrong.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Very pleased with our Freightliner. Love the new DriveTech digital dash and steering column which was designed by Mercedes-Benz. Daimler owns Freightliner.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently driving a 2000 Freightliner chassis RV. This summer I had the AC compressor lock up. I went to the nearest Freightliner dealer, I was in Bismarck, ND, gave them the last 6 digits of my serial number, they had all the info on my chassis, including the part number for the AC compressor. Had the compressor over nighted for a total cost of 260.00.

It would be very tough to beat the freightliner support network.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ve had a FL chassis new since 2005. Great service, great support.

So no chassis mfr make all of the components. The trans is Allison, the engine is CAT or Cummins, airbags, rear end ,brakes, filters, air systems are all sourced from third parties.

FL makes different levels of chassis. Entry level is solid front axle, drum brakes, etc to high end independent front suspension with disc brakes and big engines.

The FL factory service center in Gaffney SC is a joy to deal with and I won’t use anyone else if I can get there

I’m not a huge fan of your local semi truck centric Freightliner service centers. They are competent but a tad expensive and not thorough.

Buy with confidence.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 class A's on Freightliner chassis and never had issue but if I ever do I'll take comfort in their huge network of service dealers throughout the US.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will consider it a non issue and keep looking.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
tvfrfireman wrote:
I have noticed some owners who seem to detest Freightliner chassis that is used in our choice of motorhome. One said he would rather walk and others with some horror stories how Freightliner wouldn't help them now that their motorhome was off warranty.

It's similar to the Ford, Chevy, Chrysler argument.

With the Freightliner Serial Number they can get every chassis part in short order. Their parts and owner support is excellent. I wish I could say that about my Monaco.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner. All day, every day.
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2000 Holiday Rambler on the Freightliner chassis for 12 years. Very reliable, and their free help desk is a great resource. 1-800-FTL-HELP.
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is on a Freightliner chassis and I am very happy with it. I would definitely buy it again.What brand of motorhome are you considering?
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always take our coach(freightliner chassis)to a Cummins Coach Care facility. They work on all chassis related repairs and service and have always done competent work and fair priced. There is probably a Coach Care facility near you.
I should mention that the only problem I've ever had with the chassis was an air bag and an air line leaking which for a 2003 is understandable. The other shop times were just annual service work. It drives great with little effect from passing semis.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata