Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What truck do I need to pull this trailer
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What truck do I need to pull this trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

There's no way that's going to have a 2,800 lb. pin weight loaded. The advertised pin weights are dry/empty. Count on a fully-loaded pin weight of around 3,900 lbs. and figure your truck payload numbers from there.

Calculator

Rob

X2
You really want DRW, I agree pin will be near 3,900#. Payload on our 2016 Ram 6.7 CTD Aisin with 3.73’s is 5,411# tow rating is 25,000#+. Any Ram DRW after 2013 has a GVWR of 14,000#. The only issue is that 2013 to 2015 had dual radiators and a “Y” that would crack, good after market replacements.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 02:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'15 and up DRW diesel from any of the 3 will tow that like a dream w/ capacity to spare. I wouldn't chance that weight w/ 5 people in cab to a SRW.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelnfam wrote:

Dry Weight 14,095 lbs. GVWR 17,000 lbs. Hitch Weight2,800 lbs.

Here's how the math works. Dry hitch weight of 2800 divided by dry weight of 14095 gives you a pin weight of 19.8%. Multiply that by the GVWR of 17000 and you get 3377, or what the pin weight will be when fully loaded.

2 parents = 350 lbs
3 kids = 300 lbs
stuff in the truck = 200

Total weight in the truck = 4,227 lbs. (These numbers are just placeholders, use the right ones for your family.)

I just bought a 2015 Ram 3500, crew cab, long box, single rear wheel, Cummins diesel with 81k miles for $37k. This is the Laramie trim with heated/ventilated leather seats, heated 2nd row seats, etc. it's rated the carry 4300 lbs net based on the door sticker, but with your weight I would look for a dually.

I had a nationwide search running on all 3 major used car sites for over a month trying to find a truck under $40k that wasn't a short box or a dually. Dually is only $1200 option on the Ram, so the majority of 3500 diesels are duallies. Of course I also wanted one owner, clean CarFax, etc.

I personally would never buy a Ford diesel after their issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L. GM has had a consistently good powertrain with their Duramax diesel and Allison Transmission (except for 04-05 overheating issues) but trying to find out ratings and GVWR when shopping used was a nightmare.

I settled on Ram because the Cummins diesel had been a strong performer, and you can pull up the original window sticker on any used Ram and see what options it shipped with. Some may not be obvious like HD alternator, rear axle ratio, etc. The HO Cummins with the Aisin transmission is a great combo but difficult to find a decent used one under $40k.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 F-350 with all the additions you are describing. We have done the cross country trip, but also have had many repairs on the truck. I have spoken to many truck owners and they all swear by their trucks, but then talking further have found out they ALL have their issues. Get what you want and feel comfortable with. Payload wise, I think Ford or GMC CHevy) are your best bets for towing torque you will need in the mountains.

Travelnfam

FULL TIME WTF

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

For about $50k you can get a brand new F350 DRW crew cab w/hd towing with 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission. Much easier to finance a new vehicle.

The gas won't tow what I need to pull and I don't have credit for $50k

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would definitely go diesel just for ease of fill-ups utilizing trucks stops instead of at the pump. Also cross country means mountains and it will pull better in the mountains. I just purchased a certified 2500 Ram diesel MegaCab Long Horn in your price range ($38K) with 50K miles, so you should be able to find something. I have owned or used all three and any will work well. I went with Ram because that is the best value I found. I would not worry about fuel capacity, all three brands will have large tanks and you will want to stop every now and then for a rest break. Again trucks stops are great! An 8' drw crewcab will be a beast when you adventure out, may want to consider the 6.5' bed.
Good luck and have fun.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with GM's 8.1, Ford's V-10, or Dodge V-10 gassers. DRW chassis, 4 door models are harder to find with Dodge, but the other 2 are common as dirt. Save with the purchase price, fuel price is a wash.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what they run now used but we towed a toyhauler that was of a similar pin weight with a 2015 F350 dually diesel and it did great and we had no issues with it. We just traded up to the 2017 when it became vailable because my husband wanted the new body style and didn't like the color we had (insert eyeroll here).

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Travelnfam

FULL TIME WTF

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

I would definitely go diesel just for ease of fill-ups utilizing trucks stops instead of at the pump. Also cross country means mountains and it will pull better in the mountains. I just purchased a certified 2500 Ram diesel MegaCab Long Horn in your price range ($38K) with 50K miles, so you should be able to find something. I have owned or used all three and any will work well. I went with Ram because that is the best value I found. I would not worry about fuel capacity, all three brands will have large tanks and you will want to stop every now and then for a rest break. Again trucks stops are great! An 8' drw crewcab will be a beast when you adventure out, may want to consider the 6.5' bed.
Good luck and have fun.

May I ask what year? I found a 2013 3500 DRW Megacab. I don't really want a DRW but it looks like I'm going to need that and diesel to support my weight through the mountains. It's under 100k but around the same price range as yours.

Travelnfam

FULL TIME WTF

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Travelnfam wrote:

Dry Weight 14,095 lbs. GVWR 17,000 lbs. Hitch Weight2,800 lbs.

Here's how the math works. Dry hitch weight of 2800 divided by dry weight of 14095 gives you a pin weight of 19.8%. Multiply that by the GVWR of 17000 and you get 3377, or what the pin weight will be when fully loaded.

2 parents = 350 lbs
3 kids = 300 lbs
stuff in the truck = 200

Total weight in the truck = 4,227 lbs. (These numbers are just placeholders, use the right ones for your family.)

I just bought a 2015 Ram 3500, crew cab, long box, single rear wheel, Cummins diesel with 81k miles for $37k. This is the Laramie trim with heated/ventilated leather seats, heated 2nd row seats, etc. it's rated the carry 4300 lbs net based on the door sticker, but with your weight I would look for a dually.

I had a nationwide search running on all 3 major used car sites for over a month trying to find a truck under $40k that wasn't a short box or a dually. Dually is only $1200 option on the Ram, so the majority of 3500 diesels are duallies. Of course I also wanted one owner, clean CarFax, etc.

I personally would never buy a Ford diesel after their issues with the 6.0L and 6.4L. GM has had a consistently good powertrain with their Duramax diesel and Allison Transmission (except for 04-05 overheating issues) but trying to find out ratings and GVWR when shopping used was a nightmare.

I settled on Ram because the Cummins diesel had been a strong performer, and you can pull up the original window sticker on any used Ram and see what options it shipped with. Some may not be obvious like HD alternator, rear axle ratio, etc. The HO Cummins with the Aisin transmission is a great combo but difficult to find a decent used one under $40k.

Great info. They ran two transmissions? What is the benefit of the Aisin of the other?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What truck do I need to pull this trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.