cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinbox moves?

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has a Jayco 5th wheel that's about 4 years old and noticed that the pinbox seemed to move up and down over bumps. He couldn't remember ever noticing this before. Suspicious that something wasn't right, he raised and lowered the trailer off the truck and measured that the pinbox moved up and down 1/2 inch from the cap of the 5th wheel. He says it doesn't seem to pull any differently but I don't think this is normal. I'm no expert but it seems to me that the pinbox should remain firm with the trailer and not move, even slightly. Sounds to me like the pinbox is loose or broken away from the frame work of the trailer. Unfortunately, you can't see up in there without removing all the paneling around the pinbox which isn't as easy as it sounds. Does this sound like something serious?
12 REPLIES 12

Pwrstrok
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem with a Sunny Brook. The cross member that the pin box was hooked to cracked on both sides, Had to cut it out and replace with thicker c-channel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check for movement at bolts. My holes were stamped 11/16โ€ with 5/8โ€
Bolts. Mine did move a lot. Aligned pinbox to frame clamped and drilled holes to 3/4โ€ and filled with 3/4โ€ FRAME BOLTS.

Extended pinbox does move up at least 1/2โ€ when hitched but I have 6k pin.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lightning55 wrote:
Wow....150 views but only TWO opinions??

Not much else to add....the pin box should NOT be moving that much and likely indicates serious structural issues with the 5er. It will get worse over time and bumpy roads will accelerate the damage.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
He measured the half inch movement about the half way point of the pinbox just under the front edge of the trailer cap. It's probably more movement at the tip of the pinbox.
He said the weight of the pinbox is probably less than 2000 lbs.
We attempted to remove some of the body paneling around the pinbox to see but stopped because we were certain that we'd create some damage to the thin aluminum panels trying to remove them. I think he's going to call the dealer next.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
pinesman wrote:
Where should the measurement be taken? I have an extended pinbox so the closer to the end of the pinbox, the more pronounced the flex

Pin box styles vary, but with most extended pins, I'd measure between pin box and lower front of FW over hang (normally front cap bottom).

Jerry

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Where should the measurement be taken? I have an extended pinbox so the closer to the end of the pinbox, the more pronounced the flex

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I inquired with factory rep 'What amount of flex' was normal he stated 1/4" MAX
More then that then pin box support structure or frame rails are under sized/braced

Should have your friend remove the overhang panel and visually inspect supports/frames/bracing when hitching & unhitching his 5vr
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
There is a tolerance for movement, I do not know what it is. I was at a rally two years ago when one of the attendees had this issue. It was taken back to the factory and the front cap removed for measurements, they welded additional bracing to eliminate the amount of flex.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
What is the pin weight of his rig? Mine is about 4000 lbs and it moves about half inch when I set it on the hitch and it has done it since it was new.

If he can see it moving when he hits a bump I suspect he has a bigger problem and he Needs to find out for sure.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
Wow....150 views but only TWO opinions??

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I noticed my pin box moving a 1/2" I would be pulling body panels to check things out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If the pin box bolts are tight, the FW frame may be cracked. While there may be a small amount of frame flex, it should not move a half inch. If something is loose/cracked, it will worsen over time, and become serious.

Jerry