Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why Didn't I Think of This Before?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Why Didn't I Think of This Before?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obiwan,

I have never seen a RV that did not have a gravity/atmospheric potable fill capability. I personally believe that omitting that was an amazing stroke of stupid. How do you winterize it (among other things).

I am not sure what I would do in your case but, if it works out functionally, you could T into the line that is the pump suction from the potable tank and bring it out where you can access it to mount a place that you can pour into.

Good Luck

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

I have never seen a RV that did not have a gravity/atmospheric potable fill capability. I personally believe that omitting that was an amazing stroke of stupid. How do you winterize it (among other things).

I have such an RV, and it never really seemed to me a grave drawback. Normal filling is via the city water connection (with a pressurized hose), by opening a fill valve. I've yet to encounter a dump station that did not have an associated potable water fill hose/spigot, though doubtless a few do exist somewhere, so I've always just used the pressure fill.

Winterization is performed by a typical winterization suction inlet, sticking a hose into the bottle of antifreeze and pumping it about the pipes. (Actually, I use compressed air to winterize, but that's neither here nor there.) I don't see why one would use a gravity fill to winterize if there were any other options: why put a good bit of antifreeze in the fresh water tank, and then have to take extra steps to rinse it out in the springtime? I'd think it far better in any case to just pump it through the piping and leave the tank empty.

A system with a pressure fill valve and a winterization inlet can (nearly always) be set up to pump water from an external container into the tank by using both at the same time. It's not as quick as a gravity fill, but involves less lifting and pouring.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt, our 5th wheel has a connection for a water hose to directly fill the fresh tank....no valves to open! In fact, every 5th wheel we’ve owned since 1993, had the water hose connection. Our class c has the more typical gravity feed! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Why would you avoid putting the water from the jugs into the existing fill port?
Get a second RV water pump and some clear tubing. A couple wires to the battery and you are filling the tank while you make a sandwich.

It seems a fair number of people do just this. Buy a pump like you have in the RV, you will always have a spare. Pump will move water rather fast as it is free flowing and not building pressure.

Charles

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/20 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV doesn't have a gravity fill but it does have a vent. Pull the screen from the vent and you can add water using a smaller hose.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Why Didn't I Think of This Before?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.