Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Window Tint
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Window Tint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW. A good tint job will last the life of the truck. As far as cop magnets......not if you get them in a lighter shade of tint. On the windshield. There is a mark in the corner it’s know as ASI tint cannot extend beyond the line of that marking.
I’ve had tinted windows on all my cars and only once got pulled over, for a missing front plate. Never said a word about my tinted windows.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful because there are a lot of tint shops out there that will put whatever you want on the windows, not necessarily what's legal.

In other words they won't tell you the shade that you fell in love with is too dark.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TECMike

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for the input, everyone. I have been looking at a high quality ceramic tint, that has a VLT (visual light transmission) above 70 percent. Much lighter than other tints. Ceramic is higher priced, but I have learned, as a rule, one usually gets what one pays for.

My research on the web indicates ceramic tint is best for the heat rejection, does not fade, and has the best durability. I suspect, as mentioned, skill of the tint shop and their reputation as a business is mighty important.

At our age, wife and I do not tow or travel at night, unless we are forced to in an emergency situation. Then tint VLT percentage might come into play, I suspect.

Again, thank everyone for their comments. This is a great forum that truly has some helpful members like you all.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

I have neve seen an aftermarket tint hold up. Within several years of heat cold moisture it will begin to bubble.
As mention above dark windows are cop magnets,even a tint legal in your state may have you sitting on the side of the road in another.

You just need to not be cheap on the tint.
14 year old truck tinted since new, and like new.
34 year old truck tinted...a long time I presume, based on the condition of it. No issues with it peeling or discoloring.

Agree, northern and NE states tint is a great excuse to get pulled over. Grew up in upper midwest.
Down south and out west/southwest, cops don't care. It's normal.

* This post was edited 09/29/20 05:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front side window tint is very restricted in my NW area due to reduced visibility during darkness and rain. It makes more sense in the sunbelt where you have less of these conditions, but it will reduce your visibility even in ideal conditions.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone speak to doing it on the RV windows? Our 5th wheel is a hot box and contemplating window tinting or awnings.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two of my RV's had polarized windows that help reflect the sun and offer some privacy when darker inside. Two of my RV's also have had dual pane windows - These insulated from external temperatures and also noise. My current RV has both.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Can anyone speak to doing it on the RV windows? Our 5th wheel is a hot box and contemplating window tinting or awnings.

Our last 2 TT’s cane with tinted windows. And our current MH has tinted windows. I wanted to do the front driver and passenger. But I had read that with thermal pane windows you don’t want to tint them. As the tint will reflect back into the glass, heat up the gas in between and pop a seal. I can’t verify that will happen, but I don’t want to take a chance!

So if you have thermal panes I would say don’t do it!

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My windows are a bronze colored glass but I wouldn't classify them as tinted in the respect that they reflect heat. In fact, they may even absorb more heat because of the color.

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Texas, it's 20% on the driver and passenger side windows only. Anything behind that is legal. Had F-150 with the factory tinted windows. Put limo tint on top of that. Made for a cooler interior without too much visibility problems.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Window Tint
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.