cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fortunate to be here tonight

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Arkansas on I40: Overtaking a semi, we hear a screaming 6cylindeengien with loud exhaust. Didn't see anything but instinctively lifted foot off the throttle and engine break kicks in hard and on the brake.
About that time to our right a black Chrysler 300,I think with paper drive out tag comes barreling between us and the semi. We missed hitting him right at or behind the driver's door by a foot maybe an he misses the rear corner, the big bar setup on its rear by maybe foot.
If hadn't lifted off the throttle and hit the brake, we would have hit him and pushed him under the rear of the semi killing him most likely, and destroying the car and our right front lower cap and frame and generator and so forth. We would have had ne big pileup. I don't recall if other vehicles behind the semi at a distance. There were none behind us. We would have been killed too. The semi would probably have left the road and jackknifed or rolled, I don't know exactly and anyone within a good distance behind the semi and us would have piled into the mess. My heart was in my throat for a long time beating wildly.
We almost met our Maker today.
He wove in and out around three more semis and existed on exit 173.
Tried to call 911 but all it did was ring. That Fellow almost killed a bunch of people today including himself.
14 REPLIES 14

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
There are one or more on every highway, they live in a world with a total population of one. They are it.

Defensive driving is an absolute must for today's traffic.

The Still Small Voice of God directed you to safety.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you're here to tell the story. Stay safe.

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
They made weed a misdemeanor in most states,the stupidity is rampant, yet there is a new pool of tax money.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We had same type of incident in Tn, further down the road. The white Acura SUV cleared us by a whole lot more but still got our attention.
We were passing a semi at 20-25 mph overtaking speed difference.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I usually experience much the same whenever I travel through Atlanta.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:

Tried to call 911 but all it did was ring. That Fellow almost killed a bunch of people today including himself.

Likely you were not the only one calling 9-1-1 on Mr 10 T (that's 1 D 10 T or 1D10T if you like)

And also one of the reasons I took early retirement from answering 9-1-1.

I'd like to say there are no drivers that stupid but guess what.. I've seen 'em more than once. How everybody got out alive I still do not know because
1: he should have rolled it
2: he should have rear ended that truck load of Steel
(That last applies to the last time I saw it).

Some of those car drivers.. You got to wonder what they smoking.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
One evening near Chicago, a small pickup towing a trailer pulled in front of so close that he hooked up our bumper and we pushed the trailer sideways about a hundred yards with the coach brakes on before he powered up, broke the hook up and sashayed on down the road a ways. This was all in the left lane so our options were limited.
We have carried a dashcam ever since.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thank God you are all ok. It's called Defensive Driving for a reason - keeping your eye out on the other guy! You saved a lot of lives by being alert.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sad part is those people never get caught but an old lady on a deserted 4 lane will get a ticket for exceeding the limit by 5mph. Glad you are ok.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you avoided an accident
Defensive driving is a MUST

What IFs are just that....and dwelling on them does not help ones psyche
What IFs didn't happen that's what makes them What Ifs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Wow! Glad you managed to avoid a mess!

I really have to wonder about these boneheads that pull stupid stunts like that....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are alright. Perople are crazy. That is a memory that will stay with you for a time.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Very glad to hear everything turned out ok for you and the driver of the semi. I've had close calls like that a couple of times in my life and it takes a good long while to feel right again.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
He was in a hurry! Probably drunk or high. Glad you are ok.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad