Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Looking For S. Texas Parks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking For S. Texas Parks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

pawatt wrote:

take a ride over to palmview and check out the parks on Benson Palm drive. you might find something you like here. from 200 to $900 a month. be sure to check mission West, greengate Grove, Americana, and Val's country corral. they're also several others. Golden Grove is very reasonable but no pool. we are on the bike trails and state park next door.

Palmview? Hmm. That's a little further west than I was planning to go, but I mapped it and it's only 25 minutes from here. We might swing out that way. Is there any particular thing you like more about that area?

1 mile off freeway so no traffic noise but easy access. Close to Bentsen Rio Grande State Park and World Birding center. Close to Mission Nature Park, Close to National Butterfly Center. Easy access to paved bike trails. 4 HEB stores within a couple miles, 3 Wal Marts within a couple miles. Good Medical care in McAllen and Edinburg. Riverside Club on the Rio Grande. 2 Big Flea and Farmers Markets close by. Less wind than lower Valley. We are in Green Gate Grove, We own our lots here but several lots for rent by owner, Office has a list. You will want to check out all the parks south of the freeway and also on Business 83, Mission West is nice. On the Rio Grande Chimney Park off South Conway and on South Inspiration Road 7 Oaks Park. Americanna on Bentsen Palm Drive, Bentsen Grove, Green Gate Grove, Golden Grove, Cheap, Large lots but no Pool or spa. Lamplighter, Privately owned lots with some for Rent by owner, Vals Country Corral, Small friendly park, salt water pool. Couple run down parks, Retama Village, Very high test. Bentsen Palm Village Resort, Hi Test, expensive.
Good Luck, let us know what you find.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,
The further away from the coast the warmer it is. Most Winter Texans stay inland. IMO a mid valley location is best for exploring the valley. However, once you find the right RV park there will be plenty to do and see.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see that some folks recommend staying in the Middle of the Valley. The only problem with that is that you are always traveling somewhere to find what you want. If you want to visit the Gulf of Mexico occasionally, there are dozens of parks within thirty miles. Like to bass fish on Falcon Lake? There are parks in the western part of the Valley. The middle of the Valley would require a 70 mile drive to either of these two places. My point is not to question other people's advice, but to suggest that you find something close to your interests. Our Single's bunch likes to dance and there are many dances and music jams in the Middle of the Valley.

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this year will be different, one item to consider is what will be open at each RV park. Parks with lots of facilities charge more money. If the facilities are closed then you are paying for something you will not receive.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alfredmay wrote:

Since this year will be different, one item to consider is what will be open at each RV park. Parks with lots of facilities charge more money. If the facilities are closed then you are paying for something you will not receive.

That, too. I drove by a Wilder RV Resorts park named Texas Trails in Pharr. It's a nice, big, clean park but nothing special. It has a price of $705 per month. I called and it sounded like they use one call center for all of their parks (I'm not sure). The lady started to pitch me all their special offers. I think she said if I pay for 3 months I get the 4th month free which means their $705 would be about $530 per month. I'll stay with my park that's charging $275 and is also nice and clean.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Looking For S. Texas Parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.