Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Torque on Lug Nuts
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Torque on Lug Nuts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have disc brakes, torqueing is more of an issue so as to not warp the rotor. Using an impact is not good. Final tightening on many MHs is not recommended. Could snap the bolts off, strip them out or stretch them.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every vehicle that I own has aluminum rims. They are more likely to have rim damage than steel wheels. If the lugs are loose, the lugs will eat the rim. If they are too tight, the rim can be warped, lugs stretched, etc. I check mine 50 and 100 miles after the rim was removed, and before every trip. I then check them after 2 weeks on the road.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

riltri

Lansing

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These were put on by a tire dealer using a torque wrench. I watched them as they were installed. 600 miles later......

[image]

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Whenever anyone (well, . . . besides myself) touches the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc., on ANY vehicle I own, drive, etc.,
I ALWAYS check/retorque at least a few of the lug nuts/bolts before I leave visual range of the shop that just worked on it. I don't enjoy getting stuck with a flat tire, at night, while it's raining/pouring in the middle of nowhere with a lug nut/bolt that was torqued to 450 ft-lbs and now I CAN'T GET IT OFF with the tools I have. The factory spec on the MH is 150 ft-lbs.

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#.

Might be time,for a torque multiplier.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV is on a light chassis with 19.5" wheels with a torque spec of 150 ft. lbs. so easy for me to check and correct. Usually the lugs are excessively over tighten and I need a cheater bar to get the off and reset to correct torque. I check anytime someone other than myself removes a tire.

The daily driver I also check so I know I can loosen the nuts on the side of the road with the tools that came with the car. Again most of the time they are over torqued and would be very difficult to get off to fix a flat without assistance.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies and info. Had the lug nuts all retorqued, everything is good. Taking her in after I reload everything and getting the front and rear weights and the setting the correct psi.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Chum lee wrote:

Whenever anyone (well, . . . besides myself) touches the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc., on ANY vehicle I own, drive, etc.,
I ALWAYS check/retorque at least a few of the lug nuts/bolts before I leave visual range of the shop that just worked on it. I don't enjoy getting stuck with a flat tire, at night, while it's raining/pouring in the middle of nowhere with a lug nut/bolt that was torqued to 450 ft-lbs and now I CAN'T GET IT OFF with the tools I have. The factory spec on the MH is 150 ft-lbs.

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#. Might be time,for a torque multiplier.

Wow! 450 ft-lbs. That's a lot. (well beyond the capability of mortal men) A torque multiplier is a good idea. If I was driving your vehicle (no, I'm not giving advice here) I would consider investing in a 120 volt pancake style compressor and a 3/4" drive heavy duty pneumatic impact gun like they use in the long haul truck stops.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 09/30/20 07:31pm by Chum lee *

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

Factory specs on ours is 450#. My biggest torque wrench only goes to 300#. Might be time,for a torque multiplier.

Wow! 450 ft-lbs. That's a lot. (well beyond the capability of mortal men) A torque multiplier is a good idea. If I was driving your vehicle (no, I'm not giving advice here) I would consider investing in a 120 volt pancake style compressor and a 3/4" drive heavy duty pneumatic impact gun like they use in the long haul truck stops.

Chum lee

A pancake compressor wouldn't last for one lug bolt, if that.

Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Harbor Freight
Bauer electric extreme impact gun...1050 #’s
Incredible amount of torque, it’s what I carry. $99

Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Millions of miles on trucks. I always checked the lugs where at right torque every 50 miles or so until they stop moving. Then I put a dot of nail polish where each nut meets wheel. I can tell by looking if any move.
Works good on trailers or any other bolt you worry about.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Torque on Lug Nuts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.