Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: EGR Deletes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EGR Deletes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mrad

Prineton, MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a first itme diesel owner as of July. My truck is a 2013 3500 duramax with 57,000 miles on it. Recently it pulled a NOx code. Teh diesel shop I am taking it too said new sensorts are $370 a piece. He said most choose to the delete vs. replacement when they hear the cost to fix.

What all is involved with a delete and what are the pros and cons? Does it require a "tune" and new exhaust system?

My truck is stock. I don't really need more power, but am hearing more and more stories of endless def issues.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EGR delete is an aftermarket performance kit the removes the EGR valve and prevents exhaust from recirculating.

You will certainly experience performance gains.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should also be advised that it is illegal to have it done, and illegal for the shop to do a delete.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

You should also be advised that it is illegal to have it done, and illegal for the shop to do a delete.

Depending in which state your truck is registered, it may not pass smog check. What I did was have a removable straight pipe built by a muffler shop. I just swapped it out for the day when getting a smog certificate. That was on my 2001 Dodge Cummins. Yeah....the power gains will make you put that straight pipe back on asap.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start here and google to tell you how to clean the EGR system on your truck. Once you get things apart pour some Purple Power (cleaner/degreaser sold at autozone for around $8 a gallon) in and let it soak. Rinse with hot water and blow out with an air hose.
Once the system is clean you may find the sensors are doing what they should be doing. Telling you to clean the system.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced a bad NOX sensor on my Ram this summer. Cost about $250 for the part on Amazon and it took 20 minutes. You might look into just replacing the sensor yourself. You will need to figure out if the upstream or downstream sensor is throwing the code.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, you can run an emissions intact tune which leaves everything in place, but turns off the EGR. You might have more DEF usage, but at at least you are not sending exhaust gas back into your intake.

fadec

GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x 2. I would not remove ANY emissions equipment from your vehicle. I would have your computer programmed to leave the EGR closed. Should be possible no matter the manufacturer.

* This post was edited 09/28/20 12:53pm by fadec *

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably varies by state, but in Texas it is illegal to sell or offer for sale any vehicle which the emissions system has been modified. Meaning you can’t legally sell or trade any such vehicle. Dealers will likely not take it if you ever decide to trade. And, if found out, you could be fined for selling to an individual.

The DEF system stops the emissions of nitrous oxides into the air we breath. And the diesel particulate filter system stops the emissions of unburned fuel, carbon particles, and other combustion byproducts into that same air.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here. Been registered in 3 different states.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EGR Deletes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.