Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: EGR Deletes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EGR Deletes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here. Been registered in 3 different states.

Not in NY

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

frankwp

Calgary, AB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here.

Except that your truck has been emitting all those additional pollutants into the air.

2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually in 2005 there wasn't very much extra junk on the engine. My 2005 Duramax didn't have a DPF and certainly didn't use DEF, so probably the only thing it did have was the EGR.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Actually in 2005 there wasn't very much extra junk on the engine. My 2005 Duramax didn't have a DPF and certainly didn't use DEF, so probably the only thing it did have was the EGR.

You beat me to it, 15 years ago there wasn't much to delete.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

naturist wrote:

You should also be advised that it is illegal to have it done, and illegal for the shop to do a delete.

Depending in which state your truck is registered, it may not pass smog check. What I did was have a removable straight pipe built by a muffler shop. I just swapped it out for the day when getting a smog certificate. That was on my 2001 Dodge Cummins. Yeah....the power gains will make you put that straight pipe back on asap.

Exactly what did you replace the straight pipe with? My early 24 valve had no cat. That didn't start until the 325/600 engine in 2004.5. EGR was internal until the 6.7 in 2007.5.
CA may differ.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankwp wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here.

Except that your truck has been emitting all those additional pollutants into the air.

It probably would not be much different than your old 8.1L. He might emit a little more more PM and NOx than stock, but your 8.1L emits way more carbon and carbon monoxide. PM and NOx only has negative effects in a local areas with high concentrations(major cities), and NOx turns into good ozone once it reaches the stratosphere. The effects from carbon are global. New direct injected engines emit more PM than diesels do, but you cannot see the emissions because they are so fine which is worse because it is small enough to get into your bloodstream.

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about the Duramax, but mine did require a tune. It was actually turned off, but I went ahead and let the couple of extra pounds fall off the truck. It does run better and I probably get a little better mileage with it, but with the straight pipe, it's kinda hard to stay off the skinny pedal.

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 SLT
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here there's only one shop that will freely work on 'deleted' trucks. Dealers and "EPA compliant" shops will require that you take your vehicle away on a flatbed.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, you need to figure out what the actual issue is imo, before deleting.
And learn what components do what.
You say EGR delete but appear to be describing a a full exhaust emissions delete.

For the rest of the folks, egr delete does not mean exhaust delete although they are both typically done in conjunction. But you can delete the egr and not the exhaust emissions.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here. Been registered in 3 different states.

So you removed the catalytic converter?
Unless it some how got plugged up on a brand new or relatively new truck at the time (Highly unlikely), it did nothing for mileage, reliability or performance (provided you weren't trying to push 500hp through a stock exhaust).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EGR Deletes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.