Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New truck - but its lifted and towing

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all.
Just upgraded to a 2016 Dodge 2500 Laramie with a Cummins. It's a beauty!
However, I get it this weekend and have a camping trip right after.
It's lifted about 3" I would say.
My trailer is in the signature. 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 28 ft.
I don't imagine towing with a lifted truck is good. But my question is, do I go on my upcoming trip (about 2 hours away), or do I rush the truck in to the get spacers removed.
I realize if it stays I will have to readjust my sway set up.
Thanks!
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
3” isn’t that big of a lift on a 2500/3500 truck. I’m sure it has a size larger on tires also. The Cummins will have nonissue towing your trailer. I see no need to remove the lift unless that’s what you want. But it’s not a detriment to towing!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies.
My hitch can actually be flipped upside down to lower it. So i will do that and try to level the trailer with what I have.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, just get the proper drop hitch shank for the hitch to keep the trailer as level as you can get... It can be a WD hitch or just a drop on depending on the TW of the trailer..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spacers, longer springs, and longer shocks are part of a lift kit. A-arm replacement might also be part of that lift kit. Yea....just get a drop down hitch, otherwise you'll need to remove a lot more than just spacers....and you'd need a front end alignment and head light adjustment after removing the whole lift kit, front and back.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Do you know your loaded hitch weight? If not assume ~1,000 pounds. Compare that plus whatever people and cargo you'll have in the truck against the payload of a power wagon (~1500) and you'll get an idea of how urgently you need to remove the lift.

Why would the OP compare his truck to a Power Wagon? That's a totally different suspension than a lifted 2500. His is obviously not a Power Wagon as it has a Cummins in it.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
There's probably more lifted trucks towing campers around here than factory height trucks. As long as your hitch is adjusted properly, don't even worry about it. You'll always have the worry warts that have never done it telling you how "dangerous" it is!
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I realize if it stays I will have to readjust my sway set up."

You might have difficultly finding a drop down sway hitch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you know your loaded hitch weight? If not assume ~1,000 pounds. Compare that plus whatever people and cargo you'll have in the truck against the payload of a power wagon (~1500) and you'll get an idea of how urgently you need to remove the lift.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the lift then keep it and get a hitch with a larger drop on it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the spacers (best) or use a drop down hitch.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob