Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where do you put your levels?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Where do you put your levels?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of cheap bubbles levels attached to the driver side rear corner of the camper. They are stuck on with double sided tape that has held for over 10 years. I suppose levels on pretty much any outside corner would work. I picked the left rear location because it is closed to where my wired jack motor controller plugs in.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To many people don't realize the importance of getting your refrigerator as close to level as possible therefore ,there refrigerator is dying a slow death and they don't even realize it..

While I level my refer first,then put on the exterior bubbles,I also check for any solid places in the RV to double check that is the same as the refer..It is surprising how different areas of the RV have different stages of level. My currant TC has just one place on the counter that is exactly the same as the refer,both ways..

Buying a used RV always worries me, if the prior owners took the time to level the refer,instead of leveling it for convenience..Even just replacing the cooling unit is expensive and time consuming when it could have been avoided..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to pricey for me, but it looks like a cool idea.

LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

to pricey for me, but it looks like a cool idea.

LevelMatePRO Wireless Vehicle Leveling System

We had one of these on our previous fifth wheel (it didn't have auto-level). It was fantastic! I liked it so much, I moved it to our new fifth wheel (has auto-level) so I can find the most level spot on a site before unhitching and leveling. It's worth every penny.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put where you can see both of them at the same time when running the jacks (if you have a remote).
Mine are only a rough guide as they're "adjustable" lol. The foam tape actually allows them to move around a bit. Sometimes I adjust them to "level" after leveling, haha.

Typical of many "methods" on this forum, lets not pretend that the camper needs to be "perfectly" level. I suppose if a guy can't eyeball something relatively level then it's an issue. For me it's more of a guide when unloading to know how out of level I need to put the camper when re-loading (IE 4deg low in front, 3 deg low on the left), so the truck bed matches the camper when backing under it.

Your camper and fridge won't care it its off a couple percent, even long term and if you're not getting rolled out of bed and the limes stay on the counter, it's probably close enough.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

Burb, I just carry a torpedo level in an outer compartment, pull into the site, open the compartment, check front to back level then check the level side to side on the back bumper, experience tells me how many leveler blocks where and I’m done.

Ditto. I found the stick on ones got soft in the sun and moved/fell off.
3' Glass fiber reinforced poly one just for the camper.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in well over 20+ years of very heavy use ---12+different tcs ive never used any and never had any refer problems

2020 Chev 6.6 (GAS) lt regular cab ,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

To many people don't realize the importance of getting your refrigerator as close to level as possible therefore ,there refrigerator is dying a slow death and they don't even realize it..

I cannot think of any reason this should be so. Nor have I heard that slightly out of level will cause a slow death. In fact according to the specs I have seen there is considerable tolerance for being out of level.

Can you provide any citations or research results for this opinion?

54suds

adk mts.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

I cannot think of any reason this should be so. Nor have I heard that slightly out of level will cause a slow death. In fact according to the specs I have seen there is considerable tolerance for being out of level.

Can you provide any citations or research results for this opinion?

several older model refigerator mfgs had poor tolorance for being used while in out of level condition . I think Dinosaur replacement card overcomes this problem by more accurete temperature control

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a couple..

First and foremost the RV must be fairly level for the refrigerator to operate properly. Older RV refrigerators required more precise leveling, but even newer models need to be close to level for optimum performance. Over time a cooling unit operated out of level can be permanently damaged

There’s also something to be said for the fact that even if your RV fridge seems to be running sufficiently, that doesn’t mean that it isn’t sustaining some amount of damage that will reduce its operational life over time. Therefore you should try to keep your RV fridge as level as possible at all times.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Where do you put your levels?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.