Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Converting Small BBQ to Propane (help needed)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Converting Small BBQ to Propane (help needed)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's how you would convert your bbq for low pressure propane, assuming you have a removeable regulation like the Weber Q. On the Weber, the regulator simply unscrews and you're left with a male 1/8"NPT fitting to deal with. This post is old so hopefully the links still work.

WEBER CONVERSION:
WEBER CONVERSION

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry the old link to the adapter above no longer works. Here's the new link:

WEBER ADAPTER, 1/8" NPT

Of course, this is for the Weber Q, but your application might be similar.

ArcticFox&Cats

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow-up note:

When I retired a few years ago, I was given a Coleman Roadtrip BBQ. Never unboxed it until now. Looked at the connector on it (for LP) and did some research. Went to my local Sportsmans Warehouse, and PRESTO!!! They had the EXACT propane connector I needed to use with that particular set-up. Hooked up to my "smaller" portable 2.5# propane bottle, and wahla!! Worked like a charm.

NOW I am not so sure I am in love with the Coleman Roadtrip grill. It heats up nicely on one end, but not so much on the other. AND it is very light and easy to move, pick up, roll around, etc. And works so well with my squatty bottel of LP!!

Will now research some recommendations on this forum for "favorite grills". THAT ought to be an experience!!!

THANK YOU TO ONE AND ALL!!! Your help has been GREATLY appreciated!!

Lura

'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps I misunderstood; I though you wanted to run your grille of the trailer's quick connect (low pressure) fitting. If using bottles or external tanks, no conversion is necessary and hoses are available everywhere.

ArcticFox&Cats

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood; I though you wanted to run your grille of the trailer's quick connect (low pressure) fitting. If using bottles or external tanks, no conversion is necessary and hoses are available everywhere.

Ron: You were VERY helpful. No misunderstanding. I (along the way) changed what I was doing on MY end.

For your info, I put a fuel conversion kit on my little Honda 2200i, which I have mounted on the tongue of my itty bitty travel trailer. My little brother helped me do this, and I am absolutely ECSTATIC about how it came out!!

I have a Stromberg Tray on the front, with a LowPro LockDown Tray bolted on that; and have the Honda locked in that. I added the Hutch Mountain 3-fuel Conversion to that, and have a quick connect adapter immediately on the front of my trailer so I can use my little Honda with propane (I did NOT wish to carry gasoline, period).

As we were doing that, I have all along wanted a portable propane grill that I could use with my travel trailer quick connect (OR a smaller propane tank - just not the little bottles). I decided to unbox my Coleman Roadtrip grill, and was able to get a connector to fit that and my smaller propane bottle OR use with the trailer quick connect.

NOW I am looking at a "better" version of all of that in the way of a small, portable propane grill.

SO, YES!! You helped a bunch, Kind Sir!!! And I have since been well "educated up" on propane quick connectors, etc. It was a little confusion on my part, at first. But, I get it now!!!!

So, do not dispare!! You have been spot on!! THANK YOU!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Converting Small BBQ to Propane (help needed)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.