cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter travel

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to leave Massachusetts in late December (Covid permitting) for a 2 month vacation in Florida, returning in early March. I recall seeing a recommendation to leave the heat on in the trailer while traveling. Iโ€™m wondering if I can sleep in the trailer at night on the way down rather than a hotel. One concern that comes to mind is operating the slide in (possibly) freezing weather.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
10 REPLIES 10

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
richclover wrote:
Taxman2436 wrote:
I am planning to leave Massachusetts in late December (Covid permitting) for a 2 month vacation in Florida, returning in early March. I recall seeing a recommendation to leave the heat on in the trailer while traveling. Iโ€™m wondering if I can sleep in the trailer at night on the way down rather than a hotel. One concern that comes to mind is operating the slide in (possibly) freezing weather.

Covid-19 permitting... And weather. Assuming your rig is already winterized (late December), leave it that way until you get further south. A couple of 5-gl jugs for washing and flushing should work. Start watching the weather forecast about 10 days out and pick a favorable window for escape.

Safe travels!

I have a slight twist on this theory, and I travel in a Class C most of the time so my fresh tank and pump are inboard, under the dinette in my case. I also donโ€™t drink from the onboard tank.

I fill the fresh water tank just as Iโ€™m leaving home, but with straight hot water.

Iโ€™ve measured and experimented over the years. I can drive 12 hours in well below freezing weather and the fresh tank is above 50 when I rack out, and still above 40 at zero dark thirty when I start rolling the next morning.

On my Class A I modified the Motoraid system so that I can also heat the contents of the fresh water tank with the flip of a switch.

Since I winterize wth air and thereโ€™s no rinsing required so Iโ€™m good to go.

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s a great plan. Thanks Rich!
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Taxman2436 wrote:

Covid-19 permitting... And weather. Assuming your rig is already winterized (late December), leave it that way until you get further south. A couple of 5-gl jugs for washing and flushing should work. Start watching the weather forecast about 10 days out and pick a favorable window for escape.

Safe travels!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. What you say makes sense. I didnโ€™t even think about leaving the slide in. And the weather is so unpredictable I wasnโ€™t even thinking about how quickly it changes as we head south.

Lenny
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"if I can sleep in the trailer at night on the way down rather than a hotel."

With the TT in tow, I never sleep in a hotel...pre-pandemic too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only reason you would leave the heat on while traveling is so your water won't freeze. Just drain the lines. A holding tank won't freeze in a short days travel. Fridge yes, leave on.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, in a couple hrs drive campgrounds are open all year. We spend the first night plugged in at a camp ground when we go south in winter.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have not heard of leaving the heat on in a TT while traveling. The propane heater in my 21ft TT heats up the camper in like 5 minutes, no need to leave it running all the time.

Just leave the water tanks empty and the plumbing lines blown out, so you don't have to worry about lines freezing.

December in southern New England is usually not that cold, and since you are traveling south you will be in New England only for a few hours once you start.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
furnace will use up a battery pretty quick.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you need to put the slide out? We don't put ours out in excessively cold or hot weather. Take a sleeping bag with you.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.