Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Winter travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winter travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richclover wrote:

Taxman2436 wrote:

I am planning to leave Massachusetts in late December (Covid permitting) for a 2 month vacation in Florida, returning in early March. I recall seeing a recommendation to leave the heat on in the trailer while traveling. I’m wondering if I can sleep in the trailer at night on the way down rather than a hotel. One concern that comes to mind is operating the slide in (possibly) freezing weather.

Covid-19 permitting... And weather. Assuming your rig is already winterized (late December), leave it that way until you get further south. A couple of 5-gl jugs for washing and flushing should work. Start watching the weather forecast about 10 days out and pick a favorable window for escape.

Safe travels!

I have a slight twist on this theory, and I travel in a Class C most of the time so my fresh tank and pump are inboard, under the dinette in my case. I also don’t drink from the onboard tank.

I fill the fresh water tank just as I’m leaving home, but with straight hot water.

I’ve measured and experimented over the years. I can drive 12 hours in well below freezing weather and the fresh tank is above 50 when I rack out, and still above 40 at zero dark thirty when I start rolling the next morning.

On my Class A I modified the Motoraid system so that I can also heat the contents of the fresh water tank with the flip of a switch.

Since I winterize wth air and there’s no rinsing required so I’m good to go.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winter travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.