Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Get me out of here! PLEASE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Get me out of here! PLEASE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xmush1620x wrote:

...But, I'm a trooper and I just grit my teeth with the tears....

Representing the DH contingent of this forum.... Thank you for that!

My DW gets all itchy on the mountain roads too. I've got it covered, no problem. I'm not going to do anything to make the experience worse for her, but having to attend to her anxiety does detract from the safety of the task at hand. I wish she would just grit her teeth and let me get the job done without the drama and distractions.

Suggestion... If you know what time of day you will be traveling the route, plan your sleep schedule so your body is ready for a nap. Take a little something to help it along, buckle up, put the seat back, trust your DH to be safe, and take a snooze.

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried Alcohol to help with your condition ?

There is something else on the market now that would maybe help you too but, it is not legal in every state so I'm not going to say what it is.

Sorry that I can not help you with the roads. I have never been to that part of the country.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or Dramamine.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Devo the dog

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then, never take the drive from Three Rivers up to Silver City/Mineral King. LOL.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been on all the roads mentioned lots of times over the past 50 years. The 441S will be the flatest, straightest and quickest to least scary of them all. How far you take it depends on how much you want to avoid Atlanta.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

Az89 from Prescott Valley to Clarkdale

Why would you drive this route with a large RV? Besides warning signs against, this route is not the fastest. Sure its only 25 miles but 17 miles you're at 15-30mph. Faster to use 69/169/17/260. 45 miles but can drive 65mph the entire way.

I've not had any trouble driving an RV to Tortilla Flat campground. Lots of RV's there. Road gets bad past that point towards Apache Lake and beyond where the road turns to dirt and narrows.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

pigman1 wrote:

Az89 from Prescott Valley to Clarkdale

Why would you drive this route with a large RV? Besides warning signs against, this route is not the fastest. Sure its only 25 miles but 17 miles you're at 15-30mph. Faster to use 69/169/17/260. 45 miles but can drive 65mph the entire way.

I've not had any trouble driving an RV to Tortilla Flat campground. Lots of RV's there. Road gets bad past that point towards Apache Lake and beyond where the road turns to dirt and narrows.
Not prohibited for RV's, just for trucks. And absolutely gorgeous vistas. I was not in a hurry and had already driven the alternate routes numerous times so it was a pleasant change. Drive on Az89 from Sedona north toward Flagstaff is similarly marked and not near as spectacular a drive.

The run from Tortilla Flat southwest to Apache Junction can be intimidating for anyone in the copilot seat as the copilot is right next to the drop-offs most of the way down. Going up to the Flat is not so bad as you have the whole other side of the road before the drop off.

As long as it's not prohibited, driving mountain roads in out of the way places can lead to sights and experiences missed by many. We've only had to use the toad to pre-scout a single road while searching for an out of the way campground heading north on the Alaska Marine Highway. In addition to a fantastic view of the inland waterway, we were rewarded with being able to look DOWN into a bald eagle nest and watch 2 chicks as they were hatched.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnhicks wrote:

To get out of there, get on US-441/23 and go south into Georgia.

You didn't say where you're going next. If home to Florida stay on US-441 until you pick up I-75 at Macon or you might prefer to stay on US-441 all the way.

There's a book called Mountain Directory https://www.mountaindirectory.com/
Before doing any more mountain anything the navigator needs to read it.

That is the route we took last month heading back to FL. 441 to Macon, thus avoiding Atlanta , then 75 back the rest of the way. Easy drive most is 4 lane highway.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/20 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP hasn't returned to either of her threads after a week. I don't think she's still looking for directions.

I'm closing this for now. If she comes back and wants the thread reopened, I'll be happy to oblige.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Get me out of here! PLEASE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.