Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Goodbye Jeep
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Goodbye Jeep

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our new C, I sought out a Jeep Wrangler for a toad. Found a nice clean 2000 Wrangler, and I personally set it up with Invisibrake and a Curt tow bar to the steel front bumper. All worked great, and was a great vehicle to drive at our campsite / final destination.

However, with being laid off a big chunk of this year, and a daughter starting college, etc etc, I opted to sell the Wrangler and thankfully found an RV'er who needed it. All worked out great.

We owed nothing on the Wrangler, but it freed up a huge chunk of $$$ for other things. We take 1, maybe 2, big trips a year for a total of 2 or 3 weeks a year. Otherwise, we camp local and don't need the toad. So, our new plan is wife drives behind. And, one less vehicle to insure, etc. I didn't drive the Jeep other than when we camped, on a bit trip that is.

So, in about 5 years or so, I'll seek out another dinghy as my wife and I plan to do a lot more camping as we near retirement age.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

eric1514

AZ ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you're in the save money mode, but you might consider a dolly for your car. They can be had used fairly inexpensively and even new, some are not that spendy. That way your wife could ride with you and you wouldn't have to own a car just to tow.

2015 Travato 59g
2006 Isata Touring Sedan 250

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a dolly. Had it maybe 10 years and tow everything on it. No insurance, tags, etc. can’t beat it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Goodbye Jeep
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.