cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out and Hot Water Heater Not Working

CPTArcher
Explorer
Explorer
The slide out and gas/electric hot water heater is not working on my 2014 26ft bumper pull Aspen Trail travel trailer.

Swapping relay on my slide out did not fix issue. Fuses are good. Push switch on slide out and nothing happens. Can open manually.

Light on switch for heater comes on but water never changes temp. Not sure if issues are connected or separate issues.

Trailer is being used as hunting camp, so moving at the moment is extremely difficult.

My initial thought is a critter may have chewed the wires but I am not seeing any visual sign of damage/entry from a casual inspection.

Probably causes? Where do I should I start troubleshooting?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
AHA! Atwood, that's your problem. I have had nothing but problems with every Atwood appliance I've ever had. Two water heaters had propane, burner problems. Furnaces give up and sound like a super sonic jet when they fire up. Get a Suburban. Neighbor had an Atwood furnance in her park model (we live in a gated RV park) and we also live in a park model. We have a Coleman furnace. Since the neighbor is Canadian and doesn't come down in the winter, I've had to call the service guy two winters in a row to fix her furnace. Nothing but hassles with Atwoods. They should not be allowed to be on the market.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

CPTArcher
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Slide out and water heater both use DC BUT are separate issues

Slideout...typically wired directly to battery POS post with an in-line fuse (or DC Circuit Breaker) so start at battery and follow smaller individual wires to the fuse/CB and check if blown/tripped

Water heater....
Could be Main DC Fuse bad, could be tripped t-stat, could be Fuse on water heater circuit board, could be circuit board
It would help if you posted Brand/Model of water heater

Itโ€™s an Atwood 6 gallon.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Slide out and water heater both use DC BUT are separate issues

Slideout...typically wired directly to battery POS post with an in-line fuse (or DC Circuit Breaker) so start at battery and follow smaller individual wires to the fuse/CB and check if blown/tripped

Water heater....
Could be Main DC Fuse bad, could be tripped t-stat, could be Fuse on water heater circuit board, could be circuit board
It would help if you posted Brand/Model of water heater
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CPTArcher
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Start with the propane.....

Thank you for the response.

Propane is full and doesn't work when using electric either.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start with the propane.....