cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 Volt Interstate batteries

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I have look thru the Search field and have not found anywhere RV'ers rate the different brands of deep cycle 6 volt batteries.

Here in Bellingham WA, can't find anyone who carries Trojan batteries. The most available are Interstate deep cycles. Anyone had good results with these?

NAPA has their brand, how about those?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
37 REPLIES 37

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
LVJJJ wrote:
Thanks to teejaywhy bought a couple of Deka GC 15's for the $144 each. They are rated higher than the Les Schwab's I was looking at. After I added water and charged them up, connected them to the TT. Right now we are sleeping in the TT as the new short queen mattress we bought a week ago showed up as a short king size. I had built a bed frame for our park model bedroom so we got rid of our old old mattress expecting the new mattress within a week. Figured we'd sleep in the trailer which has a great mattress. Now it loooks like another week or so. Anyway, I hooked up the 6 volts and turned off the shore power to test out the batteries to see how long they'll last. I've heard its good to run them down a time or two to break them in proper. We'll see.

I'm not sure that you are suppose to run them down to break them in. i would start another post to ask about that. It doesn't sound right but, I'm no expert .

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to teejaywhy bought a couple of Deka GC 15's for the $144 each. They are rated higher than the Les Schwab's I was looking at. After I added water and charged them up, connected them to the TT. Right now we are sleeping in the TT as the new short queen mattress we bought a week ago showed up as a short king size. I had built a bed frame for our park model bedroom so we got rid of our old old mattress expecting the new mattress within a week. Figured we'd sleep in the trailer which has a great mattress. Now it loooks like another week or so. Anyway, I hooked up the 6 volts and turned off the shore power to test out the batteries to see how long they'll last. I've heard its good to run them down a time or two to break them in proper. We'll see.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
My service tech isn't a fan of Interstate either... he likes the Lifeline AGM's, although he installed 4 Battle Born Lithiums in my rig last week...

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

My first set lasted about 5 years.... I still them under the bench in the shop. I top them off once and awhile. It's just that they would run down a bit quicker and not keep their Voltage up for quite as long as when they were new. (Actually, I'm not sure what to do with them. They are to good to throw away)

If you were not on the other side of the country I would be interested in so-so batts.

I'm in GA now, anyone need to get rid of some 1/2 usd batts? I am building a backup system at home and need batts. I currently have starting batts that I also do not know what to do with, and have solar panels, so it all really runs on solar... I have a sump pump that is important to be able to run if power goes down, but I do not need mega amp hours, just something as backup... Anyone let me know if you want to trade or whatever..

I don't know where St. Clare is but, MN is not on the other side of the country unless you are in Louisiana. Still , it is to far to go for used batteries.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my first pair of 6 volt Interstate batteries after 7 years. I now have four 6 volt Interstate Industrial golf cart batteries. These are the 235 AH batteries and not the same as the Costco Interstate batteries.

Google the Interstate distributor.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think the OP is boondocking. Might look towards a sealed 12v marine hybrid battery. Its a starting battery that can also handle playing the radio and leaving lights on at night.

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Thanks to teejaywhy I have a conundrum. Lined up a couple of Les Schwab GC2 6 volts but I haven't picked them up yet. Looked at Lowe's Deka batteries and they seem to have more power, so hard to find good info on any 6 volt battery. The Deka's are also cheaper at $144 each, I think the Schwab's are $168 each. Can't get the Deka's till Oct 19th, but no hurry right now. Do the GC numbers mean anything. The Schwab is a GC2, the Deka is a GC 15, that better?? What to do?

I don't know anything about the Les Schwab battery, best to compare specs from the manufacturer web page. The main spec to look at is the Amp-Hour rating as measured at a 20 hour rate.

Please note, Lowes website erroneously gives the rating at 448 amps. The Deka GC15 is rated at 230 Amp-Hours.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

My first set lasted about 5 years.... I still them under the bench in the shop. I top them off once and awhile. It's just that they would run down a bit quicker and not keep their Voltage up for quite as long as when they were new. (Actually, I'm not sure what to do with them. They are to good to throw away)

If you were not on the other side of the country I would be interested in so-so batts.

I'm in GA now, anyone need to get rid of some 1/2 usd batts? I am building a backup system at home and need batts. I currently have starting batts that I also do not know what to do with, and have solar panels, so it all really runs on solar... I have a sump pump that is important to be able to run if power goes down, but I do not need mega amp hours, just something as backup... Anyone let me know if you want to trade or whatever..

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
LVJJJ wrote:
Thanks to teejaywhy I have a conundrum. Lined up a couple of Les Schwab GC2 6 volts but I haven't picked them up yet. Looked at Lowe's Deka batteries and they seem to have more power, so hard to find good info on any 6 volt battery. The Deka's are also cheaper at $144 each, I think the Schwab's are $168 each. Can't get the Deka's till Oct 19th, but no hurry right now. Do the GC numbers mean anything. The Schwab is a GC2, the Deka is a GC 15, that better?? What to do?

Good grief, $144 each?, $168 each?

That is insane to even consider..

Capacity is similar for any GC2 designation pretty much GC2 capacity will range from 210Ahr to 225Ahr.

Pretty much ANY GC2 battery will work fine and have a long life IF you treat them right with checking the water level several times a yr and adding water as needed.. Treat them to a good three stage charger, this may require replacing the standard run of the mill RV charger with more in the lines of a Progressive Dynamics..

I have had very good life with my Sam's club low cost GC2s, first set was 9 yrs old when I replaced them. They were still holding a charge but I noticed they were giving out a bit quicker (lost some capacity). They power my home fridge conversion and failure is not an option.

Cost at Sams is running $90 each.

Costco runs similar price and should also be fine.

For those more expensive brands or retailers, they often include a longer warranty but keep in mind, YOU paid an extra premium price for that warranty!

Sam's warranty is 3 yrs and I paid LESS and because I paid less, I can afford to replace them more often IF they failed.

For $15 more per battery at Sam's you can get AGM GC2s and at least brag that you own AGMs and still paid less than the places you are shopping at..

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
@ OP

I suggest you contact a few of your local golf courses and see what they use in their golf carts. I really can't say what's best, but I have had great service from Trojan 6v deep cycle. I just replaced them after extensive use for the last 5 years with a couple of Rolls Surette based on their reputation, and were a bit cheaper where I am at least.
Hope this helps.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
What are u guys doing that you kill GC batts in 4 years? GC should be able to cycle about 2,000 times. Are you full time? Do you run them dead all the time? Do you keep water (distilled) topped off? Do yo have a smart charger?

My first set lasted about 5 years. Now, when I took them out they were still going and not dead per say. I still them under the bench in the shop. I top them off once and awhile. It's just that they would run down a bit quicker and not keep their Voltage up for quite as long as when they were new. (Actually, I'm not sure what to do with them. They are to good to throw away)

I am just a weekend camper. I never go out for more then 3 days and rarely ever more then 100 miles from my home. My main reason for battery problems is that I have charging problems. I threw away the crappy converter / charger charger that came with my TT and upgraded to a newer style with a 3 state charger. But, with the poor wiring that came with my TT I can never seem to get it to Float Charge ! So I am just keep am eye on the volt meter, that is plugged into the cigarette lighter socket at the Antennae Booster, and I kick the converter on and off now and then to keep the batteries charged. It's a bad way of doing it,, I know. But, I have other issues to deal with so I never have found a easier solution.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
What are u guys doing that you kill GC batts in 4 years? GC should be able to cycle about 2,000 times. Are you full time? Do you run them dead all the time? Do you keep water (distilled) topped off? Do yo have a smart charger?

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Sam's Club sells Duracell which are actually manufactured by East Penn. East Penn manufactures for several other brands including Deka.

Trojan or Rolls Surrette are the best, but as mentioned by Trackrig, I am not sure they are worth the premium price. Gold carts store typically carry Trojan. Industrial supply houses carry either Trojan or Rolls, but they may not stock the GC2 size. Solar power stires also, but again, they probably don't stock GC2.

I think the Deka or Duracell is the best bang for the buck. They have a 235ah 6v for $150.00 ish bucks. I have 4 of them. Had them since 2018. Working great.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
I went from interstates to trojans..I believe there is a huge difference.. but then again I went from 2 dead interstates to 2 fresh Trojans..I can tell you that after 4 years the Interstates were done and after 5 years the Trojans are still going strong