Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Northern Lite 10-2000 stolen in Seattle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite 10-2000 stolen in Seattle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
docjay

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Ravelco installed on my truck the day after I picked it up. Later that week someone broke into it in my driveway but they didn’t get the truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Bert the Welder wrote:

As expected with any tech, soft bypassing of these systems seems to be already at hand. And I'm sure thieves of expensive vehicles already have gadgets to defeat your FOB.

Fortunately, most of the people trying to steal vehicles are just meth/druggies. They don’t use any sophisticated equipment and focus on easy to steal items. It’s about volume for them.

I know some of the substations were able to stop copper from being stolen simply by painting the copper, black.

We are mostly only trying to keep idiots from stealing. The bar is pretty low. They will just move on to the next easy to steal item.

Yeah there’s no Gone in 60 Seconds stuff going on with old trucks and campers.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

swhunter

SF, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to here you recovered both units. Hope you will still be able to use them. Does the insurance help in this case? How does the insurance handle the camper issue?

Around here the F series Fords are popular with the thieves. So far I have been lucky. I also had Ravelco installed on my F350. I have heard of few cases where they break in the truck but can't drive it away. You always have the expense of repairing the damage the thieves cause but you still have the truck.

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever I Google this topic, it seems companies like Ravelco correctly point out that Fords have been the most popular SELLING trucks for decades, but then cleverly fail to mention that the vast majority of stolen Ford trucks are 2007 and older, and that Ford FOBs since have been much harder to crack.

I do see technical articles mentioning "relay attacks" on the newer FOBs, which based on my cybersecurity work smells of what is called a "man in the middle attack" when using asymmetric ciphers like RSA. While it DOES appear hackers/thieves can buy devices to do a "man in the middle" aka "relay" attack on newer key FOBs, it's not clear it's widely practical, and more importantly that the hacker/thief can actually start the truck after opening the door with the faked FOB signal.

I'm curious if others know factually that 2008+ Ford Trucks are being stolen at alarming rates, of if it's just over-hyped from 2007 and older Ford Trucks being stolen.

And at least on my 2015 F350, and as the auto security experts recommend, you can still manually key in/out without transmitting FOB signals, if you're really worried about someone capturing the FOB signals. The downside is, I don't think the audible alarm arms when you manually lock the doors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/most-stolen-vehicle-insurance-bureau-canada-ford-f350-1.5383065

--tg

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a nice write-up on the "relay attack".

In this particular write-up, they seem to focus on proximity-style FOBs where you don't need to press a button to do something. Further, they say while a thief can start your car and drive off, they cannot restart the car, so they're really limited to one joy ride.

Again, I think there IS a vulnerability, but I'm questioning if for 2008+ Ford trucks its much of a practical concern.

--tg

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite 10-2000 stolen in Seattle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.