cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar suitcase problem

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 130w solar suitcase a couple months back. I comes with a cheap CMTD A2410 controller. I've hooked it up only three times. The first two times all was well. Today I hooked it up to my boat batteries and it has gone haywire. I was going to check the on and off parameters to make sure they were where I wanted. The readings for the parameters are way to high, reading 29 - 30 volts. Cannot set below 29 and the display still has a readout after I disconnect the batteries. I'm assuming this controller is toast. My problem is that we are leaving on trip that I bought this thing for in less than two weeks.
Can I reset this thing or do I need to buy a new controller? If I need to buy recommendations please.
As always, thanks for your help.
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
8 REPLIES 8

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Iโ€™m a WindyNation fan. I have two of their controllers. A thirty amp MPPT and a weatherproof ten amp that is used with a 30 watt panel ...placed on top of my RV cover when in storage.

https://www.windynation.com/charge-controllers

Thanks for the recommendation.
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a WindyNation fan. I have two of their controllers. A thirty amp MPPT and a weatherproof ten amp that is used with a 30 watt panel ...placed on top of my RV cover when in storage.

https://www.windynation.com/charge-controllers
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Buy a good controller. Install it in the RV. Connect your portable solar panels to the controller. Or you can wait until the cheapo fails.

Copy that. Recommendations on a good controller, please.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a good controller. Install it in the RV. Connect your portable solar panels to the controller. Or you can wait until the cheapo fails.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just ran back outside to give it a go and that did it. Hooked the batteries up first and everything is back to normal. My boat system is 12 volt, so I don't know why it read 24 volt.
Again thanks so much for your help. The knowledge on this forum is just amazing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
most solar controllers do not "like" input from solar without first connecting to the battery bank.

give the controller a "rest". Then short out the input, follow that by shorting out the output. Next connect the controller to the battery bank. Then connect to the solar panels.

I hope the controller was not fried.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Katdaddy wrote:
I bought a 130w solar suitcase a couple months back. I comes with a cheap CMTD A2410 controller. I've hooked it up only three times. The first two times all was well. Today I hooked it up to my boat batteries and it has gone haywire. I was going to check the on and off parameters to make sure they were where I wanted. The readings for the parameters are way to high, reading 29 - 30 volts. Cannot set below 29 and the display still has a readout after I disconnect the batteries. I'm assuming this controller is toast. My problem is that we are leaving on trip that I bought this thing for in less than two weeks.
Can I reset this thing or do I need to buy a new controller? If I need to buy recommendations please.
As always, thanks for your help.

First question is if the boat is 24v, did you let the controller see the 24v before you connected the controller to the array?

Could be other issues, but start there for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3utx0h3wjnztwmn/CMTD-10A-Solar-Charger-DUAL-USB-6.pdf?dl=0
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that controller is 12/24 volt. Did you hook up the battery side first? Most dual voltagr controllers determine their operation from the battery hookup. Values you mentioned sound like it thinks its a 24 volt system