cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 115v

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
My 1993 fleetwood coranado class a suddenly will not give me 115v anywhere. When plugged in or even when the generator is running, i have no voltage anywhere. Ive reset all the breakers above the fridge, which are the only 115v breakers im aware of. Im looking for some suggestions on where to start before i start cutting open cabinets.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
22 REPLIES 22

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also you can take wire chaser or toner and connect to each bad wire and trace it to the location its attached to and run from that point back to a the panel. That way you do not have to open too much, just run new wire if possible thru the basement or conduit under the couch.

https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Tracer-Electrical/s?k=Wire+Tracer+Electrical

MrWizard
Good luck on finding some slack in those Romex cables
Mine is above the fridge, which is in the curbside wall,
No getting behind mine
I removed the screws holding it to the cabinet,
But it won't budge more than 2"
No way to reach in and cut the hold downs or pull any slack, to get it out, i would have to disconnect every single wire hots, grounds, neutrals, even the DC battery side fuses etc
I think they wired it, then put the roof on,
The installation does not allow for servicing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Don't cut new openings!
There should be about 4-6 screws holding the box in the wall. Remove screws and see if you can pull it out.
Two screws show in the photo on left side.

Yes you are right i did notice that! However it appears someone replaced the fridge in this coach at some point with a bigger one and then redid the paneling above it, and framed in front of the flanges of the electrical panel. Im definitely gonna have to do some surgery

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Notice he neutral buss bar is isolated from the frame.

When you replace the neutral buss bar be sure the new one is isolated from the frame as the original.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't cut new openings!
There should be about 4-6 screws holding the box in the wall. Remove screws and see if you can pull it out.
Two screws show in the photo on left side.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
These electrical components were definitely not built to be serviceable. Im going to have to cut open the inside of the medicine cabinet to access behind the panel and then pray that theres enough slack to fix this properly. Really amazing advice here

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend against a wire nut here. Getting six or so wires simultaneously well-connected in a wire nut is not as easy as it looks, and they can sometimes work lose in high vibration environments (especially if not taped to prevent unscrewing).

Replacement bus bars and their mounting brackets should be available (they're more or less standard parts, even if not specifically designed for this particular electrical distribution panel); put one in, trim back the burnt/discolored portions of the wires, and attach the good parts firmly and properly to a new bus bar. If the wires are too short for this, you'll have to do some more extensive rework--maybe as simple as removing some slack from behind the electric panel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the joke/not jokes I tell is that we RVers often have a few screws loose.

And when the screws in that photo are loose.. The effect is also shown in said photo. (Yes I'm talking about THOSE screws).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for fixing photo!
You could get by with smaller wire then my other post. A number 10 would suffice.
Cut the wire back until you find good copper with no burnt spots.
Get some electrical de-oxidation grease to go on before installing wire nut or connector of your choice.
There could be some slack in the cables behind the power center.
You were very lucky that you had no fire!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MrWizard
That's Ugly
That neutral bar should never ever be that hot
Check the main neutral/white from the distribution breaker panel to both sides of the transfer switch, then all the way to the end of the shore cord

I wouldn't be surprised, if you find damage at every connection point

Shore cord and generator will meet at the transfer switch
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not put six wires in a wire nut. Could put up to four including the one to panel.
Make sure the wire is large enough to carry the full load of separate wires. May need something like number 6.
Your photo is covering your link. Would you edit post so I can pull up image? Would like to get better view.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Loose neutral.

Yep thats what it was. Looks like the neutral for the main was barely touching. Can i just cut back the fried ends of the wires and put all the neutrals in a wirenut instead of using the busbar? Its only like 6 wires

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Loose neutral.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado