cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

King Jack Directional Antenna Protection

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2020 26XD has the King Jack antenna. Before I put the winter cover on do you think I should make up a cover to go over the antenna? The antenna cover would have a wide base flat to disperse the weight of the heavy snow/slush/ice we get here in Southern New England. I'm thinking the weight of this wintery mix will put a lot of downward pressure on the winter cover and on the small surface where the antenna mounts to the roof and possibly cause roof damage or breaking the antenna. My other Class c was the crank up/down type and this wasn't an issue.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
5 REPLIES 5

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Humm,, never thought of it before but, it is probably not a bad idea to cover it with a box or tub as the other posters have said. Skylights too.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Maybe you could put a sturdy plastic tub over it to spread the load.

Yeah that's what I see. People use those large round bottom hanging plastic planters. Since they are round bottom, when placed over the antenna they form a dome. I have also seen laundry baskets and the plastic tubs. Here's it's usually the summer covers (winter we're out and about locally) so those thinner plastic items tend to get too soft, but in colder places, they should hold up very well.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could put a sturdy plastic tub over it to spread the load.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm on the other side, I made 2 boxes, one to cover the antenna and one to cover the flimsy skylight before the cover goes on in a couple weeks. Both boxes are made from 1 x 6 cedar fence board, very light weight.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
Everything on the RV was designed to be outside and unless you are parked under a tree or some structure that might fall on the roof, I would leave it as is.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)