cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the new 10 speed in the Fords made a significant impact in catching up with the Cummins fuel mileage in the 2500's. Although it is still too little info in all of the new 2020 models to tell. It generally starts leveling out after around 50 vehicles and/or 500k miles recorded. Before this, it swings wildly.

Makes me wonder what it will be when they slap the 8 speed in the Ram diesels.

250/2500s
Ford

Ram

GM

350/3500s
Ford

Ram

GM
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
112 REPLIES 112

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
mlh wrote:
Snowwolfe wrote:
Any chance we can get back to the topic and have owners report what mpg's they are getting in their diesel trucks?
We all know the arguments for and against, now post some real time mpg's.

You know that's not going to happen. When someone posts their opinions on a forum, they are right and everyone else is wrong. If anyone else thinks they are not wrong....prove it.
Even when you prove it and they provide nothing they can't accept it; so there's that also.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shum02 wrote:

Maybe true but how many 5.4L and 6.8L's do you still see in service? Not many to very few and if you did how much are they worth. How many 6.0L's of the same vintage do you still see...........at lot more. Surprising what my 6.0L with over 300k miles is still worth.

Interesting. I bet you have your 6.0 goggles on...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
In my area gas powered HD trucks are relatively rare and sell for much less than the same diesel powered trucks. Of course the exception is many of the Ford diesels after the 7.3L was discontinued....:)

So as has been mentioned many times, the diesel truck will net way more when it's time to sell or trade in so the difference in fuel economy is only one consideration when making the decision to buy.

Maybe true but how many 5.4L and 6.8L's do you still see in service? Not many to very few and if you did how much are they worth. How many 6.0L's of the same vintage do you still see...........at lot more. Surprising what my 6.0L with over 300k miles is still worth.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
Snowwolfe wrote:
Any chance we can get back to the topic and have owners report what mpg's they are getting in their diesel trucks?

You know that's not going to happen. When someone posts their opinions on a forum, they are right and everyone else is wrong. If anyone else thinks they are not wrong....prove it.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Snowwolfe wrote:

This is how threads go.

My combined weight is 34k I get 9-9.5 hand calc West coast from NW WA to SoCal. When I add the Motorcycle and it's trailer I am at 9.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Snowwolfe
Explorer
Explorer

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
32vld wrote:

do not need a 6.2 GM states the 5.3 will tow 9,000 - 11,000 lb.

So does that mean the GM owners who get them to tow 10k are making bad financial decisions like you say diesel owners are?

32vld wrote:
To buy a Silverado with the 3.0 diesel is not necessarily just a $1,000 upgrade
because you have to buy at least a LT model.

You can buy 5.3 model Silverado for up to $7,510 less than one with a 3.0
diesel.

Sooooo for 90+% of GM truck who at least buy an LT, it is only a $995 upgrade. Maybe not so for that small percentage who don't buy an at least an LT.

32vld wrote:
Trucks cost a lot of money so you should buy what makes you happy.

Buy according to you, if someone buys a diesel, they are making a bad financial decision.

32vld wrote:
To make a blanket statement that a diesel is always the better purchase
is to make false assumptions.

Not once did I say this. Please point out where you think I did. In fact, I have said the opposite that the numbers may not be the same for everyone depending on the fuel prices, resale value, and taxes where they live.

32vld wrote:
Gas and diesel have their pros and cons.
The math based on the individual use will determine the best
purchase.

This is what I have been saying. Not saying things like people who buy engine option upgrades like diesels are making bad financial decisions like you have multiple times.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

32vld
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

So in your analogy, all those people who paid the extra upfront cost and extra money on fuel (since premium fuel is needed) on a 6.2L just to tow 10k are wasting their money? Or, if a half ton owner only tows 5k (like most people outside the RV world)? They are wasting their money getting the 5.3L like a vast majority of GM half ton truck owners do?

What about the diesel in the GM half ton which is only a $1k upgrade in the 1500, not a $10k. And it also gets about 6 mpg better than the 5.3L according to Fuelly and will pay for itself in less than 40k miles at current prices. It is only rated to tow 9k, so going by what you stated above, anyone who is not towing over 9k is wasting their money getting the 5.3L over the 3.0L diesel.

do not need a 6.2 GM states the 5.3 will tow 9,000 - 11,000 lb.

To buy a Silverado with the 3.0 diesel is not necessarily just a $1,000 upgrade
because you have to buy at least a LT model.

You can buy 5.3 model Silverado for up to $7,510 less than one with a 3.0
diesel.

Trucks cost a lot of money so you should buy what makes you happy.
To make a blanket statement that a diesel is always the better purchase
is to make false assumptions. Gas and diesel have their pros and cons.
The math based on the individual use will determine the best
purchase.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

In my area (the truck capital) I'm starting to see more gas powered RAM HD trucks and I suspect with Ford new 7.3 gas that trend could continue. 🙂

I call BS on that. According to Polk data we use at work to see what kind of customers in our dealership's AOR, the amount of registered HD gas trucks has not risen at any significant rate in Texas. And yes, we have two dealerships in Houston.

You can call it what you want but this is what I've been noticing. Also back in March I was at a Chrysler, Ram, Jeep dealership and noticed 50% of the HD trucks on the lot where Hemi's and that's something you never seen.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

In my area (the truck capital) I'm starting to see more gas powered RAM HD trucks and I suspect with Ford new 7.3 gas that trend could continue. 🙂

I call BS on that. According to Polk data we use at work to see what kind of customers in our dealership's AOR, the amount of registered HD gas trucks has not risen at any significant rate in Texas. And yes, we have two dealerships in Houston.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
In my area gas powered HD trucks are relatively rare and sell for much less than the same diesel powered trucks. Of course the exception is many of the Ford diesels after the 7.3L was discontinued....:)

So as has been mentioned many times, the diesel truck will net way more when it's time to sell or trade in so the difference in fuel economy is only one consideration when making the decision to buy.

This be the difference between virtually sea level and flat vs 5000’ changes in topography before you finish your first Starbucks in the morning.
And don’t pretend the “hill country” is mountains, lol.

No doubt the new gassers are more capable than ever and an absolute pleasure to drive.
However the diesels aren’t still packing only 250hp and 450 ft lbs, so they still blow the doors off of 400hp gassers with a great deal of authority once something real gets latched to the hitch!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

But I won’t because I don’t care and I don’t bash anyone for what they drive or own. Never have.

I can't say this is entirely true but it's good to see you don't subscribe to the Ram Mafia anymore!

You’re right. I do rag on Ford owners...forgot about that, lol!
But it’s all in jest.
Not proud to admit it, haha, but I probably have more miles hanging onto a steering wheel with a blue oval on the horn button then “most” Ford fans.
I was speaking of the holier than thou attitudes (not you) like 32vld and others who somehow think they know everything, when the fact of the matter is they don’t know enough to even recognize when they’re talking out their own arse...

There’s a difference between knowledgeable substantiated arguments, funnin around and those who simply look down their nose at anyone who doesn’t subscribe to their (typically ignorant, either the true definition or most people’s interpretation of the word) opinions.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes