Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears the new 10 speed in the Fords made a significant impact in catching up with the Cummins fuel mileage in the 2500's. Although it is still too little info in all of the new 2020 models to tell. It generally starts leveling out after around 50 vehicles and/or 500k miles recorded. Before this, it swings wildly.

Makes me wonder what it will be when they slap the 8 speed in the Ram diesels.

250/2500s
Ford

[image]

Ram
[image]

GM
[image]

350/3500s
Ford

[image]

Ram
[image]

GM
[image]

* This post was last edited 09/30/20 08:00am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very informative. TY for posting.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sure would be nice if Fuelly hadan option for towing vs solo driving, since the ratio of those driving types can skew data wildly. Without that, how do we know the Ford is any more efficient, rather than more it being a result of more people buying them as family daily drivers? I suspect the lower Ram 3500 numbers are also simply because they are so popular for hot-shotting, especially with the 14k GVWR, where Ford-driving hot-shotters will just opt for the F450 instead. Anyways... sure would be nice if there was a standardized fuel efficiency or CO2 test for light-medium vehicles, under both empty and full GCWR scenarios....

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are some really sad numbers.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

It sure would be nice if Fuelly hadan option for towing vs solo driving, since the ratio of those driving types can skew data wildly.

Or even nicer, for folks to realize (not you necessarily or in particular) that overanalyzing fuel mileage is a game of diminishing returns. Unless you're rvnet member "slowmover".

The factors you mentioned in your post combined with many others do SOOOO much more to affect fuel mileage than what gears are in the back end of the vehicle or which emblem is on the hood than most people understand.

That said, it appears Ford is doing good things mileage wise with their diesels.
Almost makes me wanna buy a Ram with a Powerstroke and an Allison instead of the other way around! (That way I still don't get seen by my friends driving a Ford!)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

It sure would be nice if Fuelly hadan option for towing vs solo driving, since the ratio of those driving types can skew data wildly. Without that, how do we know the Ford is any more efficient, rather than more it being a result of more people buying them as family daily drivers? I suspect the lower Ram 3500 numbers are also simply because they are so popular for hot-shotting, especially with the 14k GVWR, where Ford-driving hot-shotters will just opt for the F450 instead. Anyways... sure would be nice if there was a standardized fuel efficiency or CO2 test for light-medium vehicles, under both empty and full GCWR scenarios....

Exactly, this is well within the margin of error based on different usage patterns, so how you use it and your driving habits are likely to have a bigger impact than the differences shown.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Those are some really sad numbers.

If you think those numbers are sad, you should see the gas version of those pickups. About 2-3 mpg less for the V8's and 4-5 less for the V10s.

Also, they aren't too for off from the most common engine in the half tons in each brand either.

Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
[image]

Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
[image]

GM 1500 5.3L
[image]

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

carringb wrote:

Exactly, this is well within the margin of error based on different usage patterns, so how you use it and your driving habits are likely to have a bigger impact than the differences shown.

They actually have notes for this in each persons bio of when they tow. However, as I said in my initial statement, as the amount of vehicles reporting in and miles increases, the towing mileage starts to become irrelevant in the total data except for the 350/3500 trucks.

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going into town. 60-65 mph. Mostly flat. DW and me. Not much cargo.

[image]

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It ain't about the miles per gallon. It is about what you are towing and what you need to safety tow it with.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.