Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are those towing numbers or a mixture of towing/not towing because I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 Diesel with the 10 speed. When not towing, I get 17.5 around town and 23.5 on the highway. My numbers are by doing the math, not the computer numbers. Granted I only have 2,500 miles on the truck so far but no way the average is 14.4mpg with the GM models. I'm guessing the Fords and Rams are getting much better mileage as well. I can't offer towing mpg's because I haven't done any towing with the truck yet but those ratings seem way off.


2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.


ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/30/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Are those towing numbers or a mixture of towing/not towing because I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 Diesel with the 10 speed. When not towing, I get 17.5 around town and 23.5 on the highway. My numbers are by doing the math, not the computer numbers. Granted I only have 2,500 miles on the truck so far but no way the average is 14.4mpg with the GM models. I'm guessing the Fords and Rams are getting much better mileage as well. I can't offer towing mpg's because I haven't done any towing with the truck yet but those ratings seem way off.


They are cumulative averages amongst the amount of divers and miles posted in each year. Some get higher, and some get lower depending on how you drive, what type of terrain you drive in, and other factors. Naturally, if you are the type of driver that would get better than average in one vehicle, then you would likely get better than average in another and vice versa. However, these are real world averages which is a mixture between best case scenarios and worst case scenarios.

For example, the 14.6 mpg average for the 2019 F250 is based on average mpg of 126 vehicles, 4,454 fill-ups, and 1,547,129 miles.

* This post was last edited 09/30/20 12:50pm by ShinerBock *   View edit history

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was my impression, smarty, that OP was displaying non-towing, no significant load mileage numbers so the comparisons do not have anything to do with safe towing or overloading.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad


Sjm9911

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saving a mile per gallon is fun to talk about but if your needing to calculate it for savings, its probably a good idea not to get a camper. I really dont care about mileage, just that i can tow it safely.


2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So if you found two comparable trucks both of which could safely tow your trailer but one of which had 15%-20% better mileage you’d still not care about MPG?

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Saving a mile per gallon is fun to talk about but if your needing to calculate it for savings, its probably a good idea not to get a camper. I really dont care about mileage, just that i can tow it safely.


Sure, if you can have a dedicated tow vehicle then MPG's don't matter, but when your not camping and towing your trailer the other 300+ days a year, then MPG can be important.
I drive close to 35-40K a year so an extra 1 MPG or so might be beneficial.


Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 09/30/20 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

They actually have notes for this in each persons bio of when they tow. However, as I said in my initial statement, as the amount of vehicles reporting in and miles increases, the towing mileage starts to become irrelevant in the total data except for the 350/3500 trucks.


Without someone breaking down those notes and providing subcategory averages, they are irrelevant to the averages.

But even with larger sample sizes, there can be differences in usage patterns across brands, so even then, it may not be meaningful.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


Sjm9911

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2020

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Saving a mile per gallon is fun to talk about but if your needing to calculate it for savings, its probably a good idea not to get a camper. I really dont care about mileage, just that i can tow it safely.


Sure, if you can have a dedicated tow vehicle then MPG's don't matter, but when your not camping and towing your trailer the other 300+ days a year, then MPG can be important.
I drive close to 35-40K a year so an extra 1 MPG or so might be beneficial.

That all depends, lol. My 2020 2500 gasser gets better millage then my 2014 jeep wrangler unlimited. I use the 2500 more now and may sell the jeep. Yea, if i was driving that much i would look into a small honda or something. You cant save money on fuel with a big truck. Just not going to happen. And getting a second car would save on maintenance also. Me , i cant fit into anything smaller, the jeep is almost too small. So its not good for long rides anyway.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 09/30/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

They actually have notes for this in each persons bio of when they tow. However, as I said in my initial statement, as the amount of vehicles reporting in and miles increases, the towing mileage starts to become irrelevant in the total data except for the 350/3500 trucks.


Without someone breaking down those notes and providing subcategory averages, they are irrelevant to the averages.

But even with larger sample sizes, there can be differences in usage patterns across brands, so even then, it may not be meaningful.


The data is there. If you don't like that it isn't easily broken down for you then feel free to make your own means to gather this data from thousands of truck owners recording millions of miles. If not, then don't complain about what is available.

Yes, that must be the excuse for the disparity. All Ford F250 owners must use their trucks differently than Ram and GM owners...... And F250 V10 owners must being towing all the time to get this kind of fuel mileage.


[image]

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/30/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The initial cost difference for a diesel engine is huge. Add in the cost of DEF and those 4-5 GALLON oil changes and oil filter that cost TRIPLE a standard oil filter and that is a LOT of $$$.

Unless you drive 50K+/year AND tow/haul heavy loads, anyone shopping for a new truck should consider a Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.