Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Going into town. 60-65 mph. Mostly flat. DW and me. Not much cargo.

[image]

Not a chance brotha....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The initial cost difference for a diesel engine is huge. Add in the cost of DEF and those 4-5 GALLON oil changes and oil filter that cost TRIPLE a standard oil filter and that is a LOT of $$$.

Unless you drive 50K+/year AND tow/haul heavy loads, anyone shopping for a new truck should consider a Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission.

So what are the numbers? Calculate initial cost, total fuel costs, DEF costs, maintenance, taxes, registration, interest rates, and resale trade in after 100k miles. I did, and came out ahead with my Ram 2500 Cummins over the 6.4L 2500 using both 87 octane and the higher 89 octane that was recommended. The total cost on the 5.7L was lower though.

[image]

So what are your numbers? I don't know about you, but I would gladly pay for a more powerful engine upgrade if it only cost less than $1,500 over the course of 5 years/100k. Many pay more than that on engine upgrades in half tons.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

The data is there. If you don't like that it isn't easily broken down for you then feel free to make your own means to gather this data from thousands of truck owners recording millions of miles. If not, then don't complain about what is available.

Yes, that must be the excuse for the disparity. All Ford F250 owners must use their trucks differently than Ram and GM owners...... And F250 V10 owners must being towing all the time to get this kind of fuel mileage.

Misleading data outputs...are misleading regardless of it makes you happy.

For similarly outfitted trucks, it's silly to expect a big difference.

Yes, some manufacturers have links to particular industries that have different uses for the trucks, so there can be different usage patterns by brand.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

The initial cost difference for a diesel engine is huge. Add in the cost of DEF and those 4-5 GALLON oil changes and oil filter that cost TRIPLE a standard oil filter and that is a LOT of $$$.

Unless you drive 50K+/year AND tow/haul heavy loads, anyone shopping for a new truck should consider a Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission.

So what are the numbers? Calculate initial cost, total fuel costs, DEF costs, maintenance, taxes, registration, interest rates, and resale trade in after 100k miles. I did, and came out ahead with my Ram 2500 Cummins over the 6.4L 2500 using both 87 octane and the higher 89 octane that was recommended. The total cost on the 5.7L was lower though.

[image]

So what are your numbers? I don't know about you, but I would gladly pay for a more powerful engine upgrade if it only cost less than $1,500 over the course of 5 years/100k. Many pay more than that on engine upgrades in half tons.
Incomplete at best. You don't have insurance, repairs, depreciation, cost of money, ... just to name a few. You don't even accurately reflect the $10,000.00+ increase in initial cost of the diesel vs. gas to start with.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

[image]

Incomplete at best. You don't have insurance, repairs, depreciation, cost of money, ... just to name a few. You don't even take into account the $10,000.00+ cost of the engine to start with.

That may be but it does show what I've always known and that is diesel fuel and DEF cost the same or less than its gasser counterpart. The anti diesel folks always squawk about how much diesel fuel is but never figure in the lower mileage of gas. I also think he is being generous with the oil changes, I pay $101 for an oil change and tire rotation at our local GM dealer.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you find some data on Ford and GM's 2.7 turbo engines? I have heard some incredible claims on the Ford and would like to see some hard data on that. I have heard so little on the Chevy it would be interesting to see what it is actually doing. If there is any being posted.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

Incomplete at best. You don't have insurance, repairs, depreciation, cost of money, ... just to name a few. You don't even accurately reflect the $10,000.00+ increase in initial cost of the diesel vs. gas to start with.

Repairs are null in 100k miles since all diesels on the market today have a 100k mile warranty from the factory. Insurance is within $5. Depreciation is factored in on resale. Cost of money is only a factor IF you paid cash and where going to invest that money. Most borrow the money. What else you got?

Also, as I have said in the past when I have posted this spreadsheet. These numbers are based on fuel cost, resale values, and so on in my region. Not everyone will be the same or can attain a 1.95% interest rate like I did. Hence the reason why I tell people to do the math for themselves and they will see that upfront cost $8k starts to decrease dramatically after everything is calculated. In fact, you pay way more than the upfront cost going from the 5.7L to the 6.4L gas in the long run due to higher maintenance costs yet no one talks about "recouping" their money there. Why is it only brought up on the diesel? It is an engine upgrade just like the diesel is it not?

* This post was edited 10/01/20 06:38am by ShinerBock *

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That being said, when you hook up a trailer to them, they all get about 10-11 mpg

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL 5th Airborne

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

The data is there. If you don't like that it isn't easily broken down for you then feel free to make your own means to gather this data from thousands of truck owners recording millions of miles. If not, then don't complain about what is available.

Yes, that must be the excuse for the disparity. All Ford F250 owners must use their trucks differently than Ram and GM owners...... And F250 V10 owners must being towing all the time to get this kind of fuel mileage.

Misleading data outputs...are misleading regardless of it makes you happy.

For similarly outfitted trucks, it's silly to expect a big difference.

Yes, some manufacturers have links to particular industries that have different uses for the trucks, so there can be different usage patterns by brand.

Not misleading. The data is there, you are just too lazy to dig it out which is not the fault of the website. What better information do you have to throw dirt on another? That is like someone who complains yet does not have anything better.

A vast majority of the people posting ion this site are using these vehicles as personal daily drivers, not fleet trucks.

* This post was edited 10/01/20 06:35am by ShinerBock *

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Can you find some data on Ford and GM's 2.7 turbo engines? I have heard some incredible claims on the Ford and would like to see some hard data on that. I have heard so little on the Chevy it would be interesting to see what it is actually doing. If there is any being posted.

It seems the Ford 2.7L is getting about 2 mpg better than the 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L.

[image]

The 2.7L in the GM seems to only be about 1 mpg better than the 5.3L.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Fuelly mileage of the big three diesels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.