cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One night stays and black/grey tanks

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon everyone. Next month we will be taking a couple weeks to go from central Texas to California. The primary intent is to do some quick sightseeing on our way to see the in-laws. As such we have several times where we will only be staying one night at a campground or RV park. I know you want enough "volume" in your black and grey tanks before you dump it, but with only one night we won't have that? I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.

Thoughts on what the best approach is?

Thank you.
38 REPLIES 38

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are bordering on overweight, your trailer should have no problem carrying the extra weight (yes, I have seen reports of tanks falling out, but it's extremely rare). Water only weighs about 8.5 lbs/gal...very little in the overall weight of your trailer (and absolutely zero add'l if you're using fresh water from your tank and not from city water hookup). You won't see a measurable difference in mpg, and you're unlikely to actually feel a difference in handling depending on the location of the tanks. Don't sweat it; they are "holding" tanks, and I have never seen an expiration date on how long they can "hold". Use them till they're 2/3-3/4 full, then dump. It's poo, not rocket science.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As we are travelers more than campers, I would have expected that our operation is more different than most. That does not seem to be the case. Our coach is very senior, bordering on antique and it only has one waste tank. That is about the same size as the potable tank. While both level gauges work (at the moment), the potable is a good indicator for the waste tank. That be the case, I like to find potable and a dump about every third day to give us some margin.
Then, there is another consideration. If Mary wants to wash her hair, she would rather have more hot water than we can normally manage.
These two sort of drive us toward an FHU for the third or forth night and we dump and take on potable then.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

burgess001
Explorer
Explorer
When doing a series of short stays, I let the stuff slosh till it's about half full. My twist is that I then dump and flush as soon as I get on the next site...before things settle. Then, I close and wait till half full again. Been doing this lots of years and it works for me.
Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
3-4 days minimum to dump unless there are some serious mountain passes to cross.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Just in transit I carry fresh water too. Sometimes I will go fully with no hookups even if provided. I just plug in if we need cool air. Makes for easy set-up and fast getaway.

This^^^ is my approach as well. If it's just one night. I'm trying to avoid set up. No need to dump or attach anything not toatlly necessary.
Depending on the circumstances I might remain hitched as well.
Usually I will unhitch to get fuel.
When overnighting or passing through,the less set up = less tear down and a quick departure.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
In my 51 years of RVing I have never heard of a tank falling off of a motorhome.

I believe that there have been some mentions of folks here who had tanks fall. not a common occurrence however.
bumpy

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
In my 51 years of RVing I have never heard of a tank falling off of a motorhome.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

jeromep
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you put in your black matters more than how much you have in there while going down the road. Sure you don't want to be 3/4 full, but at the same time, a one night stay with no dump and "normal" toilet usage shouldn't make your tanks terribly full. What you have to guesstimate about is how much you are putting in the tank relative to your usage of it.

What you want is a good bacteria & enzymatic treatment for your black tank. Ideally you need to view your black tank like a septic tank that doesn't have a drain field. Various bacteria and microbes are in their element consuming, breaking down, and "simplifying" human waste. This is their job and they are employed at a commercial level in city sewage treatment plans on a much larger scale to take what is basically toxic waste and make it much less toxic. You also have to consider if your tank is filled with aerobic or anaerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria naturally give off foul odors as they break down waste. To reduce odors you need more anaerobic bacteria, which do not give off odors as they break down waste, to overpower and replace the aerobic bacteria. Ever wonder where farts come from, well that is aerobic bacteria at work. Anyway, your treatment should be filling your tank with the anaerobic bacteria and enzymes which do their job while you are parked or while you are on the road.

Anyway, if you use a bacteria & enzymatic tank treatment, the contents of your black tank, with sufficient water placed there during flushes, and a reasonable tank temperature, should control odors and break down solid wastes and toilet paper into liquid. So, when you do get someplace you are staying long enough to hook up your sewer tube, what you are dumping is basically all liquid anyway. You'll get more complete tank dumps and will have less issues with tank sensors.

I'm not sure if forum rules allow me to link to a product maker, but I've been using their product and think it is excellent. DM me if you want details. I have no link or business operations with this company, just a happy customer.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Add at least a few gallons after emptying & let her slosh going down the road for a few days. Repeat. The more water to slosh the better.

I think that a 10% fill will "slosh" around much better than a 90% one. a full tank won't do much sloshiing.

bumpy

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add at least a few gallons after emptying & let her slosh going down the road for a few days. Repeat. The more water to slosh the better.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just in transit I carry fresh water too. Sometimes I will go fully with no hookups even if provided. I just plug in if we need cool air. Makes for easy set-up and fast getaway.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Raife has a brand spankin' new TT and needs to update his signature!

To the question, I agree with the consensus here: if at a full hook up (FHU) site, then leave the grey open and the black closed. Travel to the next stop with the gray empty and the black partially full. The tank will travel just fine and you won't have any issues. If boondocking, limit grey water usage or if at a CG dump the grey on the way out, but either way let the black alone until it has more in it.

I would use the grey to clean out the stinky slinky etc. after the black is dumped.
bumpy

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raife has a brand spankin' new TT and needs to update his signature!

To the question, I agree with the consensus here: if at a full hook up (FHU) site, then leave the grey open and the black closed. Travel to the next stop with the gray empty and the black partially full. The tank will travel just fine and you won't have any issues. If boondocking, limit grey water usage or if at a CG dump the grey on the way out, but either way let the black alone until it has more in it.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
That or use the community bathhouse for your needs.

This is what we do. For the once a day you need to #2 just use the campground rest rooms. our 18' camper is to small for that stink lol.