Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: One night stays and black/grey tanks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> One night stays and black/grey tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Afternoon everyone. Next month we will be taking a couple weeks to go from central Texas to California. The primary intent is to do some quick sightseeing on our way to see the in-laws. As such we have several times where we will only be staying one night at a campground or RV park. I know you want enough "volume" in your black and grey tanks before you dump it, but with only one night we won't have that? I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.

Thoughts on what the best approach is?

Thank you.

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For one night stays where we're taking showers and doing dishes, I'll typically hook up the sewer hose and leave gray valves open. Unless the black is at least half full, it's just not worth the time and effort for me to dump and flush. It 'might' even help clean the sensors or break up TP by letting that stuff slosh around while going down the road.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few ways to handle it.
1. Travel with it in there sloshing around and breaking it all up then dump at the next campsite. Downside: all the stuff will settle before you dump the next morning anyhow.
2. Hold the flush lever down and fill the bowl several times to get plenty of water in the tank and dump before you leave. Downside: It will take longer than the next option.
3. Hook up your black tank flush and let it run for 4-5 minutes before you dump. Rinse and repeat.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in So. Calif(Orange County) and have traveled to McAllen, Tx. and back, quite a few times. Last day of travel we would definitely dump black tank and follow with gray tank. Usually in Az.-around Quartzsite, Az.-we would fill the fuel tank-Some Pilot and Loves gas stations have Dumps.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to dump every third day when I got a FHU site. used the black tank sprayer to finish that tank.
bumpy

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpy and I come from the same place on this one. Three days id you have tank capacity; two if small tanks. Always the last day before reaching home.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a dry camper/boondocker.and dump and fill at every opportunity.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raife wrote:

I would really rather not travel with contents in the black and grey tanks (beyond the couple gallons of water and treatment).

I do have a black tank flush, so I was thinking I could use that after I dump to get everything out.
So the problem is that you dont want gross black tank contents sloshing around and getting the top of the tank dirty? Which could lead to excessive smells?

Cant blame ya. At the same time dont let it drive you nuts. That's a lot of work to empty the black tank before you move the RV each time.

Just know there are thousands of people with nasty stuff sloshing around the black tank as they drive down the road. Keep your toilet bowl seal clean and you shouldnt have any problem with odors.

You have a black tank flush and I'm guessing those things shoot every direction and would clean the top of the tank?

My dump station has lost its abilities to take on volume. So I dump smaller amounts more often. With a clear adapter and a black tank flush you can see when the water is running clean. You dont need to have 10 gallons of pre water. Also dont want it dry. Black tank flush allows you to use less pre water if the situation requires it.

Raife

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not concerned about the black nasty stuff, more the travel weight and if the tank can handle the weight bumping along the road...I have read some stories of dropping the black tank...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> One night stays and black/grey tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.