cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arkansas SP $40 Dog Fee - REALLY ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 3 week trip, we had the route and parks all figured out, we started making the reservations and hidden in the Arkansas State Park policy you have to check a box that you have read and agree to confirm your reservations is that they charge $40 per stay for dogs. That is absurd!! How can they possibly justify this?? They don't ask you if you have a dog so it is not shown as an additional fee in the card transaction. So unless you notice this in the policy you have to agree to you are in for a BIG surprise when you check in!!

No way, now we aren't going to Arkansas, what are they thinking?? May as well say no dogs are allowed, but that would be stupid too!!

PETS POLICY
- A $40.00 non-refundable fee per dog will be charged for the duration of the stay.
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
28 REPLIES 28

dedmiston
Since this thread is based on a misunderstanding and it's been cleared up now, let's call this thread done.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
I wouldn't stay at a park like this for 2 reasons. #1 that price is absurdly high. #2 according to the OP they hide the fee until its too late.

We have 3 small dogs, we bought a camper because we don't travel without our family members. Dogs and campfires are a part of camping, despite the grumps out there that hate both.

I am almost of the mindset that if I'm paying $40 for my dog to camp with me, then I don't need to pick up after them... that $40 is paying for a private company to come clean up. I say this tongue-in-cheek, but what else am I supposed to think that fee is to cover?

I wouldn't object to a $1/night surcharge for dogs if the park provides doggy bags. That seems reasonable to me, although I provide my own bags. Much more than that, I would be very hesitant to pay and would want to know what services are being provided by those fees.

Once again.........
Fee applies to LODGING Facilities
NOT CG Sites
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand a higher fee for the cabin/yurt, because someone theoretically comes in and cleans afterwards. It still seems steep, but I guess they can charge whatever they want.

We have 3 small dogs, we bought a camper because we don't travel without our family members. Dogs and campfires are a part of camping, despite the grumps out there that hate both.

I wouldn't object to a $1/night surcharge for dogs if the park provides doggy bags. That seems reasonable to me, although I provide my own bags. Much more than that, I would be very hesitant to pay and would want to know what services are being provided by those fees.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
Good !
I would like them to charge $50 per dog, Then when we took our morning walk we would not have to worry about some dog come out snarling at us.

Just out of curiosity; do you obey the length of the Parks leash law?
Do you let your dog do it's business at your camp site or do you do like every other dog owner and walk it to someone else camp site.

Guy

How does the fee solve the problem? Hmm...
You claim you won't go and take your dog to an Arkansas State Park. That is one less dog with the potential to cause a problem at those parks. That is solving a problem.

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
As suggested by some of the posts, I called the Arkansas State Park reservations and woman was already aware of my concern. She acknowledged that the website says there is a $40 fee per dog but is in error and is being corrected. The $40 fee per dog is supposed to just apply to cottages and lodge rooms, not campsites. Yay !!
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
So charging a $40 fee per dog to try to address the folks who don't clean up. That's silly. What do they do with the $40, how does that help stop the problem?

Here's a clever idea, instead offer a $40 reward to anyone who reports a violator, and the violator gets kicked out and banned from the park! Then suddenly you have recruited all campers to be poop police, plus incentive to do so. Hopefully that would create enough consequences to influence everyone to pick it up or else!! ๐Ÿ™‚
TC&Z

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not 'clearly' stated but it appears that $40 dog fee applies to 'lodging facilities'

Not CG sites

Arkansas State Park Polices
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Great Dane, tan and white, and put a saddle on him. Claim he is your daughters pony. He would get used to the bit, if you tarted training him a month or two early...maybe.possibly...could happen.

Silliness aside Good Dog Owners are suffering for the sins of those who are too lazy to school their pets and pick up after them..and even bring unsociable dogs intp RV Parks.
WE never brought our now deceased friend and family defender with us, but have RVing Friends that did/do.
Not a lot you can do about State Park rules, if you live out of state and don't really have a voice in stat politics or DNR or whoever operates the State Parks. You just have to pay or go to another Park it seems.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ItsyRV wrote:
As a dog owner, I also would be upset at the fee. Not because of the amount, but because it was hidden and not disclosed upfront. It would be the same as making a reservation at a campsite but hidden in the terms and condition was a $40 fee if you use the electricity.

Pet owners are generally a very responsible group, but like everything, there are those few who are so full of themselves, they hurt all pet owners through their irresponsible actions. We've all seen the aftermath of those irresponsible pet owners so we cant; deny it exist. So if the campground's only real ability to curb these bad acts is to price all pet owners out, that's life; just put that price upfront so we know ahead of time.

I believe it is most pet owners were responsible in the past, more and more donโ€™t feel the need to clean up after or keep them on leash.
Favorite statement โ€œI didnโ€™t see it postedโ€.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I just made a reservation today and was charged $40 ($10) per day for 50 amps! Nothing for the dog though. Lol
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I was just at a decent CG in Gettysburg this weekend walking my dog. When I came upon a big pile of **** on the side of another site.
It really aggravated me that some dog owner would leave a pile there and not clean up after their dog.
There is no excuse........ Becoming a grumpy old man!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Connecticut does not allow dogs in campgrounds at all. Only allowed on state park trails and leashed, clean up, etc. But if you camp, no dogs allowed in camping areas. NO fee, but no dogs ... weird. I know of no other state campgrounds the exclude dogs, although some have 'pet fees' if you bring one.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IDman wrote:
I wish they charge that for each kid!

You Guy Roans brother?
For a while I thought my in-laws just didnโ€™t like our kids. But Iโ€™m beginning to realize that some people are just miserable and hate a lot of things!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had a least one dog for the past 33 years. I will not take our dogs to any campground except our private property. I have seen to many other dogs with bad owners to put my dog in a bad place.
At our campsite, which we allow any of our friends to use, dogs are only allowed if they are friendly to man and beast. Otherwise, leave them home.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired