cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting portable wind turbine -- looks like a barrel!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The article mentions use of this item by RVers:

Portable wind turbine

I have no idea if this is really worthwhile for the RV market.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
17 REPLIES 17

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Heres another interesting idea for better wind gen.

https://youtu.be/ezxJ0E8tUMY

For use on top of RV youd want something low obviously

https://youtu.be/WlvA99c2xFQ

Plenty of interesting stuff out there just search for Vertical axis wind generator

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Looks like a ploy to get 'production' funding on a non viable product to me.
They may make more money selling the data collected from the cookies they just dropped on your computer.

Yep.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
Just another perpetual motion machine. You can't make more energy than was in a wind segment no matter how you redirect it, accelerate it, change it. EVERY CHANGE REQUIRES ENERGY SO OUTPUT IS ALWAYS LESS THAN INPUT.

This wind turbine sounds like a 21st Century version of Newman's Energy Machine.
I'm sure it will be just as successful.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a ploy to get 'production' funding on a non viable product to me.
They may make more money selling the data collected from the cookies they just dropped on your computer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agreed that it is interesting--but there is no data. 12 volt output....no amps range?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
piano, that is a good point about jet engine turbines -- if you go to that link and look at the video, the turbine assembly looks kind of like the interior of a jet engine. Very interesting design.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked like the size of a trashcan...not suitable for roof mounting as shown, but a variation of the design could be incorporated into an RV.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI canโ€™t imagine having an oil barrel on the roof at highway speedsโ€

Could be a โ€˜show stopperโ€™ at bridges and overpasses too - lol

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If we assume it is the size of a barrel of oil, then the swept area would be limited to that dimension.

I believe jet engines use a constriction to increase the speed of the air, before mixing it with fuel and igniting it.

The constriction might allow a lower start up wind speed, but the opposite side of the coin is a reduction in swept area.

For example, an oil-barrel sized Savonius rotor with h=1 m and r=0.5 m under a wind of v=10 m/s, will generate a maximum power of 180 W and an angular speed of 20 rad/s (190 revolutions per minute). (from Wikepedia)

That's a wind speed of 20 mph.

I can't imagine having an oil barrel on the roof at highway speeds.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I would be nice to know the weight, output at various wind speed and cost.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
Just another perpetual motion machine. You can't make more energy than was in a wind segment no matter how you redirect it, accelerate it, change it. EVERY CHANGE REQUIRES ENERGY SO OUTPUT IS ALWAYS LESS THAN INPUT.

Anyone sprinkled a little mouse milk on it? I hear that works too. Large milking herds of mice take up less room than cows, and don't fart as much.

Well, you might consider re-thinking this a bit - after all just think of that LARGE herd of mice under your vehicles hood that somehow seem to โ€˜Perpetuallyโ€™ keep your starting battery charged - lol

3 tons

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer

Anyone sprinkled a little mouse milk on it? I hear that works too. Large milking herds of mice take up less room than cows, and don't fart as much.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
It is a type of a Savonius rotor. It will pick up wind from any direction.

Simple designs use a barrel, split in half and then offset on a vertical axle.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
There appears to be no price either.
Regards, Don