cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Backup Camera & Tow Mirrors

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
After forty years and four motorhomes we have recently purchased a 2018 29 foot KZ Connect travel trailer and a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT truck to tow it. The trailer is pre-wired for a backup camera (Furion) but I have not purchased one as yet. I am also considering a set of tow mirrors to attach to the existing side view truck mirrors. The Ford F-150 is equipped with the Trailer Backup Assist and trailer tow package. I have not set up the trailer backup assist feature as yet but plan to do this soon. The question is do I need the trailer backup camera, and the additional mirrors along with the trailer backup assist in the truck?
12 REPLIES 12

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Wider would be better, but I think you'll be fine with those CIPA for the trip home. That should give you plenty of experience to judge if you want something even wider.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Stepnwolf
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am about to buy a trailer 750 miles away so I need to get my ducks in a row before leaving. I am looking at a Arctic Fox 22G which is a 8.5' wide trailer excluding the awning. I am driving a Sequoia and the stock mirrors are 94" to the outside edge. I bought, but haven't installed the CIPA mirror extensions which add about another 10" to the width. That puts the outside edge of the mirror barely wider than the trailer. Will these add-on mirrors be adequate?

My previous experience pulling a TT was a 1963 16' Shasta being pulled with a 66 Chevy wagon with the extended mirrors mounted with long springs to the top and bottom of the door.

My cousin with the same vehicle is pulling a Snow River but it is 8' wide. He swapped his RH mirror for an extended mirror. Not sure how much of a difference that half foot of width makes.

I just don't want to be leaving the purchase point with inadequate mirros before the 750 mile return home.

Thanks!
Step 'N' Wolf
Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Arctic Fox 22GQ
Land of Enchantment

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
I don't have a camera. Might not trust it...I don't mind getting out of the truck and looking when my spotter isn't available. I am a fan of good mirrors.

I hate when those darn cameras show pictures that arenโ€™t what they should be...lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldnโ€™t bother with the Ford back up.assist.... I think youโ€™re better off without it. Mirrors are important and a camera could be useful. I would not get a camera that integrates with the Ford system unless you can view the image while driving at highway speeds which I donโ€™t think Ford allows.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cameras are nice to have, mirrors are a MUST. You need to able to see all the way down both sides of the camper when you are towing.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend any of the cameras you are willing to pay for or afford. I highly recommend some form of extended towing mirrors. These aftermarket mirrors should be good, but there are less expensive options that mount existing mirrors. I have the Grand Aero 3 which work well.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mirrors definitely. The trailer rear camera is mainly useful to watch while you are backing into your site to know when you are far enough in. If you have a spotter to tell you when to stop, it is unnecessary. My trailer came with the rear camera, and I only use it when DW is not with me to act as a spotter. (I put something like my hat on the ground where I want the back of the trailer, and when it disappears under the trailer bumper, I am there.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a rear camera for my 5th wheel and it is good when passing another truck or car; if I see it in that camera I know I'm clear to move over. When I back into a site I can see if there is something I need to avoid. When on the freeway I can see if any vehicles are coming up behind me.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
JL7456 wrote:
After forty years and four motorhomes we have recently purchased a 2018 29 foot KZ Connect travel trailer and a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT truck to tow it. The trailer is pre-wired for a backup camera (Furion) but I have not purchased one as yet. I am also considering a set of tow mirrors to attach to the existing side view truck mirrors. The Ford F-150 is equipped with the Trailer Backup Assist and trailer tow package. I have not set up the trailer backup assist feature as yet but plan to do this soon. The question is do I need the trailer backup camera, and the additional mirrors along with the trailer backup assist in the truck?

The F150 features do nothing like a rear observation camera does. Nor can the truck's backup camera system connect with the rear observation camera.
I have a 2014 F150 and I love the rear observation camera system I installed on the trailer. 7" monitor on the dash.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a camera. Might not trust it...I don't mind getting out of the truck and looking when my spotter isn't available. I am a fan of good mirrors.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I'd recommend swapping the side mirrors to an extendable side towing mirrors.

https://www.topgearautosport.com/img/350/15875900271446969763.jpg

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll need at least the mirrors.