cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Understanding AC Vent Cover!

crcr
Explorer
Explorer

I was tightening screws and reattaching my main TT AC vent cover, and have some questions. Besides this large main vent, this unit does have five small round vents throughout the 28 ft TT

Below is an image of the inside of the vent cover. The top black section (a thin washable filter) covers the cold AC supply to the room.

The bottom section of the vent cover, covers the return air portion of the unit in the ceiling. However, as you can see in the pic, there is a piece of galvanized sheet metal covering that area, plus a rubber gasket under that sheet metal, the same size as the sheet metal. I am the second owner of this TT, but the piece of sheet metal and the rubber underneath it, very much seem to be factory and not something that the first owner added.

Without the cover on, both the air supply and the air return move a pretty good volume of air. With the vent cover on, due to the configuration of the vent cover, I don't get near as much air movement as without the cover on.

Questions:

Why does that galvanized tin plus full size rubber gasket cover the return side? What is the purpose of it?

In the pic you can see the slot vents along the perimeter of the vent cover. It would appear that they are for the return air, since they surround that side. Is that correct? And should they be open or closed? Opening them seems to perhaps increase the air flow a little bit.
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
THe explanation: The A/C is in 3 parts
The upper part is the "Works" (Compressor, Evap. Condenser and all the stuff that goes with them This is where the "Magic" happens (Air gets chilled, or heated depending on which side (in or out) you are on)

THe Middle part, in some RV's is just a tunnel from inside to outside. In your case it's the "Ducting adapter" (Where the duct work to those 5 vents connects)

Now the bottom part.. there are two versions of this. one is for "non-ducted" and it vents straight back down,, and LOUD I might add
Yours has that vent blocked off to force the cold air into the ducts and out the remote vents (much less noisy by the way)

The reason they did it that way is inventory reduction.> ONE ceiling panel works both with Ducted and Non-Ducted. just by adding or deleting the block off plate.

Actually....
The openings in ceiling grille have sliding louvers that when closed cold air is directed to ducts AND when OPEN they dump cold air direct into the common area to help quickly cool it.
Hence the Name...CHILL GRILLE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THe explanation: The A/C is in 3 parts
The upper part is the "Works" (Compressor, Evap. Condenser and all the stuff that goes with them This is where the "Magic" happens (Air gets chilled, or heated depending on which side (in or out) you are on)

THe Middle part, in some RV's is just a tunnel from inside to outside. In your case it's the "Ducting adapter" (Where the duct work to those 5 vents connects)

Now the bottom part.. there are two versions of this. one is for "non-ducted" and it vents straight back down,, and LOUD I might add
Yours has that vent blocked off to force the cold air into the ducts and out the remote vents (much less noisy by the way)

The reason they did it that way is inventory reduction.> ONE ceiling panel works both with Ducted and Non-Ducted. just by adding or deleting the block off plate.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this provided by RV.net http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3
It formats it for me
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
OK, got it. Obviously my grille was installed 180 degrees off, so I will correct that. Thanks so much to both of you who responded, and so promptly! Much appreciated!

Re the size of the pic -- yes, I know it was much too large. RV.net doesn't have a preview option before you host, so sometimes you don't realize the problem until you have already posted.

The free hosting site that I used to use, wouldn't work anymore for some reason, and I had problems with every other image hosting site that I tried, and I tried a fair number. Any suggestions for a good free image hosting site that doesn't require sign up would be much appreciated!

Thanks again, All!

There is a 'Preview' Icon just to left of 'Spell Check' (ABC ck mark Icon) ***which doesn't work and hasn't since I joined

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thought would be if the cold air supply to the room was fully open you would get little to no flow of air to the other vents. If you want more air flow to the vents, you can close the side vents on the plastic cover.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Edit your photo link to add "width=350" before the closing img tag.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
OK, got it. Obviously my grille was installed 180 degrees off, so I will correct that. Thanks so much to both of you who responded, and so promptly! Much appreciated!

Re the size of the pic -- yes, I know it was much too large. RV.net doesn't have a preview option before you host, so sometimes you don't realize the problem until you have already posted.

The free hosting site that I used to use, wouldn't work anymore for some reason, and I had problems with every other image hosting site that I tried, and I tried a fair number. Any suggestions for a good free image hosting site that doesn't require sign up would be much appreciated!

Thanks again, All!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer

The side with the foam filter is the air return. The galvanized blanking plate is there to force more cold air through the ducting to the small round vents for more uniform cooling.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Picture is WAY too LARGE to fully see w/o scrolling back/forth up/down

From your description the 'chill grille' was installed backwards
Foam filter goes over the return side (open area where you can see evap coil)
Galvanized section with gasket goes over room discharge are (area where you can see fan blower wheel)

Slots....closed so air flows thru ducts
Slots....opened to direct cold air downward directly into area below ceiling grille