Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New and confused
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

You don't want 3 kids and a dog inside a pickup truck; especially when they get a few years older. You need a 3/4 ton van.

It works for my family. Then again my dad dragged us around in a little Nissan king cab with those little jump seats when I was a kid so maybe I'm scarred.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could always look for a used For Expedition.. They are showing a tow rating of 9,300 #

"It has best-in-class towing of 9,300-lbs. when equipped with the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package. "

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a dad of four daughters (and I survived the 6319 consecutive days of teenage daughters), I would suggest a full size van. Yes, a crew-cab would work (had one). You can get an off-rental (2019 or soon 2020), one-ton Express for around $23k. Make sure you find a 6.0 V8. Additionally, some have the sliding door. This vehicle (although not really cool, or quiet) will make traveling more about fun than "they are touching me". Of course, you may have three perfect siblings that never do such a thing. And if the drive is more fun for Dad, it is more fun for everyone. They also make it so you can take friends or other family members.

I suggest the large white van!

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

eherber

Home

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All!

Thanks for all the opinions and options. I'm still not 100% on which way to go, but I'll get there. The van idea is intriguing, my wife actually started throwing that idea out yesterday. However, unless I'm missing it, they don't appear to have 4x4 capabilities. I think if we succeed in our goal do do more dry camping, we're going to want to have something with that option.

I'm still not opposed to the sub route, but you have to find the needle in the haystack with the legitimate tow package. Better frame, better suspension, better transmission. Every one within a 200 mile radius doesn't seem to have it. They're all 6 lugs vs 8 lugs...

Again, thanks for all the input. If anything, it helped me show my wife that although the sub would be ideal considering kids (no I do not have the quite kiddos), it may not be technically sound.

Follow-up inquiry. Do you all who tow with a dodge like it? Mechanic where I work used to be a Chrysler master mechanic. He also happens to be a big TT guy. He said he would never tell anyone to by a Chrysler model. Said in all his training, they've basically relayed to mechanics that the vehicles are designed to break down. Granted they will at some point in time, but he said it was as if they purposely made it to be that way. FYI, he tows with a 3500 GMC crew cab.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My recommendation would be to go with a pre 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel or a post 2016 F350 6.7 Diesel both with crew cabs, 4X4, long bed with bed caps. They will give you abundant inside space with comfortable ride and lots of storage in bed as tremendous towing and cargo numbers. A dually would be tops.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GM 1 ton vans are bullet proof, hopefully you can find one with a locking differential. If in the future you feel you want to do dry camping there are several companies that make four wheel conversions for the GM vans.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

This^^^^^

Make sure it's one of the old style body on frame rear wheel drive models. Some of the newer vans are front wheel drive and not really set up for towing.

If 4x4 is a concern, go with a 4 door 3/4 ton pickup...but keep expectations in check. It will help a little but big trucks are lousy off road vehicles.

The 3/4 ton 4 door trucks are really pretty spacious in the back seat. I can recall a road trip back in college with a professor to go to a trade show. We had 6 - 6fters in his F350 for 500miles each way...no problem at all.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Geo*Boy wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Maybe a 3/4 ton van?

This^^^^^

Make sure it's one of the old style body on frame rear wheel drive models. Some of the newer vans are front wheel drive and not really set up for towing.

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Skidus1

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4 conversion can be done if funds allow.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

The van we are recommending is a proven van that has been used for years in commercial applications, including towing duties and were never front wheel drive.

Even some of the 3/4ton vans are front wheel drive.

Just pointing out that 3/4 ton by itself doesn't mean it's a good option.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New and confused
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.