Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Turning off the generator with the AC going?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Turning off the generator with the AC going?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

our AC does not run off the inverter. yours is likely the same.

This. It would have to be a honking big inverter to run AC.

agreed. i only used the word 'likely" cuz you just never know what some folks have done or tried to do with their rigs.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to avoid doing what the OP did
As far as hurting the inverter
No!
The inverter IF wired whole house and able to feed 120vac to the A/C, would either start it and run until the batteries got too low
Or give an overload alert when trying to run the A/C

An OEM factory installed inverter will (in most cases) be isolated from the A/C and not supplying any power to that circuit

* This post was edited 10/03/20 01:18am by MrWizard *

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I'm sure you are aware...it is not a good practice to do so, but it should not have caused any damage. As soon as the voltage dropped the AC's will kick off.

Starting the Gen with the AC's on...basically the same thing goes. Not a good practice, but will do no real harm. The Gen will start and run for about a minute before the power contacts engage to supply power.

Most RV's are wired not to have heavy AC loads on the inverter. Usually they are the AC's and electric elements on the hot water heater.

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 01:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Does not hurt the Genset. What is DOES hurt are the contac points in the 120 volt Transfer switch. It causes "arcing" on the points and over time will cause the Transfer switch to malfunction.

Actually this is not quite correct.. been shutting down the generator under load for years without incident, but once I was under load and plugged in to shore power, cycled the generator when the transfer switch to the generator the i could heat the buzz. The shore power burnt the contacts off the transfer switch.. won't do that again

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you say the AC's were not actively cooling. So no problem with shutting off the Generator at that time.

The ultimate answer to your inverter question is easy. Just try to start the AC with the generator off and see what happens.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

supercub

Modesto CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the feedback. I did learn that the Conditioners are not on the same circuit as the inverter, so even though I left them in the on position, they had no power from the inverter. After talking to the invertor tech support, and running several different tests, it looks like I have a board out in the unit, so I'll drop it off at a repair faciality on the way home. Thanks again for the feedback.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyfisherman128 wrote:

Quote:

Does not hurt the Genset. What is DOES hurt are the contac points in the 120 volt Transfer switch. It causes "arcing" on the points and over time will cause the Transfer switch to malfunction.

Actually this is not quite correct.. been shutting down the generator under load for years without incident, but once I was under load and plugged in to shore power, cycled the generator when the transfer switch to the generator the i could heat the buzz. The shore power burnt the contacts off the transfer switch.. won't do that again

I have 42 years as a RV technician. I will state I know more about this than you do. I have replaced HUNDREDS of defective Transfer boxes over the years and Most have burnt contac points. You can see the arcing when you open and close the points under load. AND, my post and experiance is what Engineers at Various Transfer Box Makers have told me. There are a LOT of people that OVERdrink and Drive for years without a problem. DOES NOT MAKE IT A WISE AND SMART THING TO DO. And then state because YOU have never had a problem drunk driving then it is not a problem. Doug

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One comment on the Arching on the ATS... IF you are going Generator-Shore without a shutdown YES but of ON (wither shore or generator) to OFF. Not so much. at least not that I have noticed.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you unplug shore power with the A/C running,
The arcing will be at the shore cord male plug and the campground RV outlet.!

If you shut a synchronous generator off while there is a substantial load (A/C compressor) ,
The arcing will be in the transfer switch contacts,
But the biggest danger is damage to the the generator head,
As the generator head winds down, voltage drops rapidly and amp load of the compressor increases,
When the voltage is too low to hold in the ats, it drops out aka open the contacts that this amp load is flowing thru, but the back EMF from the breaking open circuit causes a power spike in the generator head and the field control circuit
That is where the expensive damage accumulates until there is failure,
A winding down generator, is not the same as flipping a disconnect or pulling a plug

Flyfisherman128

Broadalbin, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

have 42 years as a RV technician. I will state I know more about this than you do.

I have been an engineer for 45 years I have been wrong at some point as well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Turning off the generator with the AC going?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.